11

"Where were you yesterday?"

I slowly glanced up from my double decker cheeseburger.

"Nowhere," I answered promptly. I glanced away and my eyes landed on a particular black hair across The Caf.

Merith raised her blond brow and crossed her freckled arms. "I don't believe you."

My eyes flickered up from my cheeseburger and landed on her again. "Nothing's happened."

We had a short staring contest before she broke her gaze and eased up. "If something's up, you should tell me," she said at last, uncrossing her arms.

Something seemed off today. As much as I appreciate Merith as a companion, I couldn't help but believe she was waiting for me to ask the same question back.

"So what's up with you?"

Her eyes sparked with excitement and she sat forward and gasped her hands together. "I'm so glad you asked!" she squeaked, "actually my dad had bought me. . ."

Bingo. Who would of guessed.

My eyes drifted away as Merith proceeds, yet again, to gossip.

I looked over at the lunch table again, where the Trio sat. I smirked. Such an ironic name when the 'nerd' may be the most successful of the group.

Just as my eyes gazed over the tousled haired boy, he looked up from his lunch and his dark orbs locked into mine. Even from across the lunch room, across the voices and screams and laughter of fellow classmates, his stare felt unshakable around the white noise. His eyes, sharp and rigged, pierced into the depths of my soul--as if he could see the raw me, as if he had surpassed the frosted glass wall I built around myself.

"My dad just bought my sister a Mercedes.." Merith proceeded to chatter. As she continued to talk, my eyes continued to be locked into his.

And that was what remained constant, for the rest of the lunch period.