4

As far as everybody knew, Colin Halleck was your badboy next door. He believed in bloody fist fights, body shots off college girls, riding a dirty motorcycle, and getting called in by the principal so much he referred to Mrs. Blaustein as her first name, 'Karen'. Everyone spread rumors such as; he was involved in an underground gang, or he was a part of illegal drifting, or (my favorite one) he once threatened a freshman exchange student so much and he moved back to his home country, Serbia. However, none of those conspiracy theories were true. He was just a complex guy that has obedience and trust issues.

He waved me over behind the library, secluded from everyone else. I looked around one last time to make sure no one could see us. He was a nice..friend to have, and although we would never be seen outside talking or even breathing together, it was okay. As if someone like me would even ever be associated with his name. Plus, it was his request to keep our friendship a secret as he did not want to ruin his 'badboy' image.

Although I hated to admit it, it angered me greatly that I could not socialize with him openly. It is all because of my social latter and the fact that I wasn't pretty or smart or athletic enough. I'm deemed at the bottom of the food chain, where I was invisible to the rest of the student population.

Exactly like what my father said. Worthless.

And because of that and those thoughts, I hated myself even more.

"What's up, Tye?" he gestured me to sit next to him on the ledge. Tye was a nickname that thirteen year old, scrawny Colin had made up in seventh grade; when we first met. It was a combination of my first and last name, Lyla Tsai.

I sat next to him. "Hey Hali, and nothing much." Lies. But before he had a chance to respond, I said, "Did you happen to take me home last night?" getting straight to the point. I silently prayed he did.

His usual cold chocolate eyes were left unguarded towards me and his true, warm chocolate eyes surfaced. His eyes narrowed. "..No, why?"

Huh, so it wasn't Colin.. Then who could it be?

"Nothing," I gave him a fake smile. "You don't have to worry about it."

"Tye, you can't just ask me something so specific like that and just leave me hangin'," he whined.

I waved him off. "This does not concern you," I said. "It's just something doesn't add up.."

His eyes harden and he turned away, crossing his muscular arms. His leather jacket groaned in protest of the traction. "Fine than don't tell me."

Sometimes, he was a petty and immature idiot.

I sighed and got up. "Well if you're gonna be like this, than I'll get going then."
If I stayed and stared any longer into those chocolate brown eyes, I knew I was gonna leak my faucet and could not let that happen. Plus, lunch was about to start and I'm sure Merith was waiting for me to spill her beans.

So I turned, and did what I did best: walk away.

He didn't call after me and I didn't look back.

And just like that, I left a very confused and disappointed boy standing alone.

* * *

"--And so apparently, Johnny could not hold back his anger and slapped Beth in the face!" Merith rambled on. "I seriously can not believe..."