Chapter 16: I'll Stand By You

Start from the beginning

"Kat, baby, wake up," they shake my shoulders again and I open my eyes to the blinding light.

I look around. I'm in a...car? "Uhh, where am I?" I ask Peeta, who is standing over me from the open passenger door.

"At my place. We finished the packing and I didn't want to wake you so I ran home and got my car and then drove back and carried you out to the car."

I grab his shirt and pull his lips down to mine and kiss him passionately. "Thank you," I whisper. He smiles and helps me out of the car.

He takes my hand and we walk up to his apartment. "Do we need to get the stuff out of the back of the car?" I ask and he shakes his head.

"I already did that, I wanted you to sleep," I bring his hand up to mine and kiss it. "You're the best," I say. He smiles. "Are you feeling better now?" I nod, "Yes, thank you for letting me sleep when the other jerks wouldn't."

We walk into his apartment and I go to take my phone out of my pocket but I can't find it.

"Hey Peeta, where's my phone?" I ask. He puts his hand into his pocket and draws out my phone. I check the time; 4:25pm.

"What do you want to do?" Peeta asks me. I shrug my shoulders. "Do you want to see the bakery?" He asks. "Yes! Yes, let's go!" I say and take his hand again but Peeta stops me.

"Baby, as much as I love you in my clothes you might want to change them to meet my parents." I freeze; of course I would meet his parents if I went to the bakery.

I run upstairs to Peeta's  -our- room and see that Peeta has already packed my clothes away. "I love you babe!" I call out and I hear him laugh, "Love you too!"

I pull on some short denim shorts and a loose tank top. I run back downstairs and Peeta takes my hand again.

"Do you want to walk or drive?" He asks. "Drive, I'm having a lazy day," I laugh.

I climb in the passenger seat while Peeta drives. He takes me to the bakery and we walk inside.

I have already fallen in love with this place just by the smell of all the bread and cakes.

I see Josh is behind the counter. I say a quick hi to him as Peeta pulls me past and out to the back.

We go up some stairs and stop outside a door. "I'm warning you my mother is a bit...much sometimes. She has a hard time keeping her mouth shut." I gulp and then nod.

Great. That made me feel tons better.

Peeta pushes open the door and we walk into an apartment. I can smell pasta wafting from where the kitchen must be. Peeta pulls me in that direction and we stop once we reach the kitchen.

The man turns around and he looks almost like an older version of Peeta. Although his eyes aren't as bright.

"You must be Katniss," he says, smiling. I nod and shake his outstretched hand. "It's great to meet you, Mr Mellark." I say and he laughs, "Please call me Andrew." I nod.

Peeta's mother spins around and gives me a glare. "So this is the girl you've been wasting your time on," she snaps and I find myself inching just a little bit behind Peeta.

"I wouldn't call it wasting, but yes, this is Katniss." Peeta says with venom in his voice.

She glares at me. "You're not exactly pretty so who knows what he sees in you." She snaps and Peeta pushes me completely behind him with only my face sticking out from the side.

"Don't you dare talk to her like that!" He snaps back at her.

"What's going on?" I hear Ryes familiar voice come from behind me.