Chapter 20

I spent the next few days sleeping, hoping that Mom would tell me in a dream that I was ready to go search for her. She never came.

I almost gave up and considered the whole encounter to had been a dream. I had been dreaming about her death and the memories after it, so maybe me getting to see her again had been a dream, too.

That started making me feel depressed. That and the fact that I was stuck in bed with nothing to do while waiting for the okay of my dead mother to go out into the world and find her.

Out of boredom one day, I decided to stand and try to walk around. I succeeded in standing, but not so much walking. My wounded leg gave out when I tried to take a step, and I fell forward onto my stomach.

I felt the cut on my stomach tear open again, and blood ooze out and seep into my clothing. I tried to stand, but I was too shaky and weak. I felt my arms give out and I fell back into the blood that was beginning to puddle on the floor.

I heard the door open, Maria scream at Peter for disturbing me, then Peter call for her. Her footsteps echoed through the hall as she approached the room, and then I heard her fall to her knees beside me.

"SEBASTIAN!!!" was the last thing I heard before I passed out.

**

"I was going to call on you tonight, but it seems you have come to me," my mother said.

I almost cried. "I'm here again?"

"Calm down, Angel," she said. "It is only some blood loss, you will live."

"Then why am I here?"

"I am truly sorry, Angel, but I needed to speak with you, so I pulled you here now instead of tonight. You will be able to leave easily, since you are indeed still alive."

"What did you need to talk to me about?" I asked. "And please make it quick. The others will be worried about me."

"I understand," she said, nodding. "You must leave me soon so that your father does not have to worry about you. So please listen and this will be over shortly."

I nodded.

"I know for a fact the hunters who shot me down were not from the area. They were from the United States, I believe, and were simply in London for a convention of sorts. You might find clues at the scene, but I promise you will not find my body in Europe."

"So Dad, Maria and I will have to travel to the United States in order to find your body?"

"Precisely. I am in one of the colonies along the coast, I am sure, and I know that the scientist is close to your friend Maria. Use her to your advantage."

"But when can we leave? I need to find you. You hadn't said anything in so long, I was beginning to think I had just dreamed you up." Tears began to fill my eyes, but I refused to cry in front of her. "I need you, Mom."

"When the wound on your stomach becomes just a scratch, you will be ready to leave."

"How long will that take?"

"About three days."

"Really?" I asked, hope filling me. "Only three more days?"

She nodded, smiling. "You will be ready to leave in three days if you stay in bed and let yourself recover. You heal faster than humans, so three days should be plenty of time."

"Thanks, Mom, I'll make you proud."

"I am sure you will. I will do my best to help guide you on your journey, but there will not be much I am able to do from here."

"I understand, Mom," I said. "I have to go back now, though."

She smiled. "Alright, Angel." She sighed. "I love you so much, Selena."

"I love you, too, Mom," I said, and then pulled myself back to the world of the living.

**

I awoke to see my father's face.

"She said we leave in three days," I told him weakly.

"She believes you will be well in three days?" he asked.

I nodded.

"Then we have three days to finish packing," he said, smiling.

**

The three days flew by quickly, and soon enough I was up and moving around. My wings were both fully healed, and I could finally fly again, which kept me from using any other part of my body that was still in pain.

Maria and I packed the carriage and waited for my father to return from the Manor. He was telling Ciel that he had a few things to take care of with some associates or something and wouldn't be back for a while. I'd told him to tell Finny that I was alright, and would be back soon.

When he returned, we decided that he and I would sit in the cab, while Maria drove. People were used to seeing her around, and that would make us less likely to stick out.

Peter was being left with Maria's parents. Everything was going perfectly.

"Ready to go?" Maria asked.

I nodded and climbed into the carriage after my father. I sat next to him as we started moving.

I fell asleep leaning against my father, and ready for whatever it would take to get my mother back.