Chapter 17

I jumped from the bed and to the other side of the room. Maria's soon-to-be ex-husband missed me by a few inches, falling onto the bed, almost stabbing himself with his own knife.

Pushing himself up, he turned to face me, smirking. "You're quicker than I thought you to be. You are injured, after all."

That wasn't me, I thought. That was adrenaline. And for my sake, I'd better not tell him that.

"Why do you want to kill me?" I asked him. "What did I do that deserves this?"

He laughed evilly. "You didn't have to do anything. No one deserves to be killed. You're simply a monster that needs to be destroyed. Nothing more. You never should have left your world. Just look where that bright idea has gotten you. You broke your wing, and now that you can't escape," he twirled the knife professionally in his hand, "you're going to die."

"You're wrong," I heard myself say in a shaking voice. "I-I'm not a monster. I'm just different." I briefly thought back to Maria saying that I was just a very special person, and I clenched my fists. "You're a monster if you think killing me is the right thing to do!"

He laughed deeply. "I may be a monster, then, but I promise you that I'll be seen as a savior to the people of this city who have lived in fear of you for these two years."

"Maria!!" I screamed again. I looked back up at the near-stranger before me, who was smirking like an idiot. Then he lunged at me, and I barely avoided the blade as it went just to the right of me, cutting my nightgown.

The pain in my wing had me wincing every time I dodged an attack, and he was smirking at me. He knew he was causing me pain, and he was relishing in it.

He stabbed at me again, and I wasn't quick enough to dodge this time. The knife went into my side, and I gasped at the sudden pain.

The man let go of the knife, and I felt myself slowly fall to the floor. The knife was burning my insides. Why do they always have to use these stupid anti blades? I thought while trying to figure out if fighting with a knife in my side was the best option here.

Blood was beginning to soak my nightgown, and the man was smirking down at me. He would kill me if I didn't fight back, and there was no way that would happen with a knife inside of me.

I struggled to get to my feet, then grabbed the handle of the knife with both hands and pulled.

I let out a small groan as the knife cut my skin and came out of my side, covered with my blood. More blood gushed from my wound for a moment, then slowed to a steady flow.

The man laughed at me. I knew it was at how pitiful I looked, but I stood my ground. He wasn't going to take me down without a fight.

I held the knife up and directed it at the man before me. He simply smirked and crossed his arms, daring me to come at him. But somehow I knew better. He had another weapon. He wouldn't have just handed his knife off to me without a plan.

I didn't attack him. Instead, I kept the knife where it was, defending myself. I decided to call for Maria one last time. If she didn't come, then I was truly on my own.

"Maria!" I screamed as loud as I could. The man laughed and reached under his coat, pulling out a blade much larger than the knife I held in my shaking hands.

I tried to stand a little taller, tried to convey to him that I wasn't afraid. But I knew he could see right through me. He knew how scared I was, and I was only getting weaker as blood continued to flow from my wound and down my leg, pooling beneath me.

I was beginning to get lightheaded. I finally came to realize that I wasn't going to survive this fight. If he didn't kill me soon, I would die from blood loss first.

He held his sword out in front of him, and I held up what felt like a butter knife in comparison. Then, since I knew everything was over for me either way, I made my final decision and ran at him.

He swung his blade, but I was able to dodge mostly, the tip of his sword cutting my shoulder. I ignored the burning pain and tried to stay focused, but everything was getting hazy, and I was getting dizzy. I wouldn't last much longer.

I lunged at him again, and this time dodged his blade entirely getting myself close enough to throw the knife at him. It stabbed into his shoulder, but he didn't make a sound as he pulled the knife from it's perch and stared at me.

Shocked that I wasn't able to phase him, I simply stared as my knees went weak and I fell to the floor. I glanced up and saw him towering over me, the blade of his sword aimed at me. All I could do was watch as he lowered the blade, and rested the tip over the left side of my chest.

I awaited the moment I would take my last breath, watching the man, seemingly frozen in time. He looked determined to end me, and there was nothing I could do to stop him.

But when he went to put his weight behind the blade and finish me off, his face reflected that he was having second thoughts.

He sighed, then removed the blade from my chest.

I opened my mouth to question him, but instead of words I screamed as the man stabbed me in the arm.

In response to my scream, he tore the sword from my arm and stabbed me in my right leg, then my left, then slashed my stomach.

I watched him through tears as he turned and picked up the knife from the floor. He turned back to me and stabbed it into my shoulder, close to my neck. He let go of the knife and stood again, leaving it in my shoulder.

I let out a soft cry, then lost myself to darkness.