Chapter 8

The maid had me sit on the bed and introduced herself as Mey-Rin. She then left the room for a moment, and returned with a black and white dress. She asked if she should help me change, which I declined as politely as I could. She then told me to get some rest, and left the room.

I quickly changed and stared at myself in the mirror. The dress was white with a black skirt, and fit perfectly. I stood facing the mirror for what felt like an eternity, but was really only a few moments, before a knock on the door startled me out of my trance.

"Come in," I called, hoping whoever it was couldn't hear the pain in my voice.

Through the mirror's reflection, I watched as my father opened the door to the room and entered, closing it behind him. He seemed like he didn't have a care in the world. He saw me in the dress and smiled.

I ignored it, staring at my reflection.

"You should sit, Chrystal," he told me. "You're still weak, no matter how much you try to ignore it."

I sighed, then sat on the edge of the bed, feeling the amount of pain in my legs decrease. I stared at the floor, not wanting to meet his gaze.

Dad sighed and walked up to me. "I apologize for this happening. I was so sure I had taken care of them, but apparently I hadn't and they managed to get you again."

"But you're okay, right?" I asked, looking up at him. "Mey-Rin said you got hit, but bounced back like nothing had happened."

"I'm alright," he smiled.

I smiled with relief. Then there was a silence for a moment, until I asked, "Was it you that saved me a few nights ago from the hunters? When I was on the ground and couldn't get up, I lifted my head and saw one man was dead, and then others were all running for the hills."

"Were you lying on the sidewalk with a wound on your leg?"

I nodded.

"Yes, it was I that saved you. I only did so because the Young Master ordered it. I had no idea I had saved a half demon."

I gave a half smile. I was happy it had been him who had saved me, order or not, but I wasn't too happy about the fact that he hadn't recognized me, and still didn't. I understood, though. I'd changed a lot in the past two years. The last time he'd seen me in pain was the day my mother had been killed.

"Those men won't be coming back, if that makes you feel any better," he added.

"Great," I muttered.

Sebastian seemed confused. "Is something wrong?"

I shrugged. "Now I don't have to worry about those three, but their boss knew they were coming here, and when they don't return, they'll know exactly where I am, and that I either killed them, or someone is protecting me."

"I apologize," Sebastian said with a sigh. "I did not think of that."

"It's alright. I just need to get out of here as soon as possible."

Dad nodded his understanding. "I'll see if I can find somewhere for you to go while the hunters come and go."

I smiled. I wanted to say, Thanks for everything, Dad, but I should stay here with you, but if he knew he was my father, he would either be mad at me for searching for him or super overprotective. I had decided to tell him once the time was right, but it was getting more and more difficult to keep it a secret. "Thanks, Sebastian," was all I said.

He nodded again. "Now, if you will excuse me, I really should be getting back to work. Get some rest and get well soon, Chrystal."

I didn't say anything as he turned and left the room, closing the door behind him.

I sighed and lay on the bed, my head sinking into the soft pillows. I wasn't tired, and so many things were running through my head. I didn't want to have another nightmare memory, and I definitely did not want to hear the gunshot that killed my mother ten years ago.

I turned my head and glanced out the window. From my second floor bedroom, I could see the tops of trees in the moonlight. Hundreds of star were twinkling brightly, and the darkness between the trees seemed relaxing and inviting.

I'll stay until I'm better, I told myself. Then I'll go live in those trees, waiting for the right time to tell my father who I am.