Chapter 10

I jerked awake from my dream and immediately started to cry. I missed my mom more than words could describe, and what was worse, I could barely remember anything about her. Ten years is a lot of time for memories to be manipulated or forgotten. I had to tell my father who I was, or she would never forgive me.

I got out of bed and put on my dress, but I didn't want to work today. I had to tell Dad, and it had to be today.

I stared out the window in my room that overlooked the front yard of the manor. The trees in the distance were beautiful, their leaves changing to a deep red. The sunrise above them was pink and clear.

But something in the driveway of the manor caught my attention more than the beautiful scenery, and I couldn't look away.

In the drive was a black carriage, and armed demon hunters were climbing from the cab, ready to take me down.

*

"SEBASTIAN!" I screamed, sprinting down the hall. I ran into him halfway down the stairs; literally ran into him, causing me to fall backward and him to grip the handrail.

"What is it, Chrystal?" he asked, sounding slightly annoyed as he straightened his tailcoat.

I glanced around to make sure no one else was around. "They're here," I whispered, staring up at him.

"What are you talking about? Who is here?"

As if on cue, there was a knock on the front door. I shot my father a look of pure terror, and he finally understood. "Go back to your room. I'll take care of this."

"But I have to tell you something first!" I was desperate and scared. I couldn't bare the thought that if I died, my father would never know that it was his daughter he was failing to protect, not some random girl he met by chance. I just couldn't let that happen to him. I wouldn't.

The knock on the door sounded again, this time slightly more insistent.

"It will have to wait, Chrystal," he stated. Now please go back to your bedroom."

I reluctantly nodded, then ran back up the stairs, and Sebastian went to answer the door.

*

I curled myself up in the corner of my bedroom, as far away from the window and the door a possible. I'd locked the door and the window, closed the curtains, and blew out the candles. I was sitting alone in the darkness, shaking in fear.

I heard someone knock lightly on the door, and my breath caught in my throat. After I didn't move, they knocked again. I refused to breathe with the chance of getting caught.

After another couple moments of my face turning blue, the person spoke up.

"Chrystal?" The voice spoke softly. "It's Finny. Sebastian told me to come up here and help. He explained everything. Please, let me in."

I let out a long sigh of relief, then took a deep breath, trying to calm my racing heart. I stood on shaking legs and made my way over to the door.

It took me a moment to find the lock and undo it with my shaking hands, but I managed. I cracked open the door, and sure enough, there was Finny, giving me what appeared to be a relieved smile.

He slipped into the room and relocked the door. I went back to crouching in my corner.

Finny's relieved smile changed to one of sympathy when he saw me hiding in the darkest corner of the room. I didn't look at him. I stared at my feet, thinking. I was scared, not just for myself, but for my father, and for everyone else in the manor. If anything happened to them, it would be my fault, because I decided to come here, knowing the hunters would come for me.

Finny sat beside me and wrapped his arms around me protectively. I could tell that it was supposed to be reassuring, a reminder that no harm would come to me as long as I was here and he was here with me. It was a reminder of our conversation in the garden the day before. Unfortunately, it didn't do anything to resolve my fears.

I heard a gunshot, and almost screamed. Finny placed his hand over my mouth, and I cried softly, hugging his arm. I was scared. I wasn't worth dying over, yet my father and the other Phantomhive workers were all doing their best to protect me.

Finny held me tighter as footsteps headed this way. My sobs instantly stopped, replaced by trembling fear, and I grabbed Finny's arm in a death grip.

Finny calmly wrenched his arm out of my grasp, and pointed under the bed. 'Hide,' he mouthed.

Without responding, I quickly crawled under the bed. Finny stayed standing by the door. Another gunshot sounded, and, holding in a scream, I swore on my life that I would tell my father who I was if I lived through this.

I held my breath as the footsteps got closer and closer. I wanted to scream at Finny to hide, that I wasn't worth protecting, but I knew it wouldn't change anything. He was going to protect me. Nothing I could do would change his mind.

I heard several more gunshots in a row, and almost started sobbing again. They sounded like they were right outside the door.

Then the doorknob jiggled. I closed my eyes, preparing myself for the worst. There were more gunshots, and the door finally began to creak open.

There was another gunshot, a crack, a thud, and then a eery quiet that made chills run down my spine. I refused to open my eyes. If I had to see the face of my murderer smiling at me from the floor, then I would die of terror before he had the chance to kill me. But worse, if I had to see Finny lying dead on the ground because he was trying to protect me... My thoughts were interrupted by the sounds of more punches.

Several minutes later, someone lifted the bed. I reluctantly opened my eyes, and saw Finny smiling down at me.

Suddenly, my father burst into the room, startling Finny into almost dropping the bed on top of me. He looked around the room until his eyes finally rested on me. He smiled, and I moved so that Finny could place the bed back on the floor.

My eyes began to well up with tears at the sight of my father. His hair was a mess, and his face was bloody from where he'd taken a beating. It hurt me knowing that this had happened because of me, but I was also happy that he would do something like this for a demon he thought he didn't know.

I couldn't keep it from him anymore. I felt like I was going to explode. I ran over to my father and hugged him tight.

"Are you alright, Chrystal?" he asked, seeming taken aback by my actions. Hearing him call me Chrystal hurt this time.

I nodded. "Sebastian?"

"Yes?"

I took a deep breath, then pulled back slightly so I could look my father in the eyes. "My real name isn't Chrystal."

Sebastian gave me a puzzled look.

"I know I've changed a lot, so I understand you not recognizing me..."

His face was still confused, and I noticed that Finny had left the room.

I smiled at him. "My real name is Selena Michaelis." With my angel wing still constrained by bandages, I spread my black demon wing, to prove it was me. "How have you been, Dad?"

I watched my father, and saw the recognition in his eyes as the name and sight of my wing finally clicked. He smiled at me, and finally hugged me back.