Chapter 7

I flew as far away from the hunters and my dead mother as possible. I wiped tears from my eyes all the way back to the forest, where my mother and I were supposed to meet up with my father after our errand.

I landed in a tree and tucked in my wings, pressing them as close to my sides as physically possible. I wiped my eyes again and looked through the small amount of crisp, scattered leaves, trying to spot my dad.

I finally saw him by a tall oak tree, looking around for me and my mother. He was a demon, so I wasn't sure how Mom's death would affect him.

I jumped down from the tree and looked at him, while he gazed at me and smiled. He glanced around and walked toward me.

"Where is your mother?" he asked me.

I couldn't look him in the eye. I let my gaze fall to the ground as fresh tears slid down my cheeks.

There was a moment of silence, the only sounds audible the wind through the leaves and my quiet sobs. Eventually, I felt Daddy's hand on my cheek, wiping away the tears. He knelt down to my height, and made me glance up at him. I was able to hold his gaze for a moment, before I completely fell apart.

I covered my face with my hands and felt my father wrap his arms around me tightly. I hugged him and cried with my forehead on his shoulder.

I cried until I had no more tears left to shed, and that was when my father pulled away. He stood, took my free hand, and walked us home.

*

I awoke with a start and noticed I was back in my room in the Phantomhive Manor, completely alone. I started to sob, trying to sit up. The pain was too much, and I couldn't do it. I lay on the bed, crying about everything. My body hurt like crazy from those stupid demon-hunting bullets, Ciel was considering turning me over to the hunters, and all on the same day I found my father. Could it get any worse?

I heard a knock on the door, and I quickly wiped away my tears. "Come in."

To my surprise, Ciel walked in, looking a little sympathetic. It didn't show much, but I could tell he cared a little about what happened to a living thing, even if it was half demon. The only thing was, he thought I was half demon, half human.

"Are you alright?"

His questioned shocked me. I knew I had seen sympathy on his face, but I hadn't thought he would ask me if I was okay.

I nodded. "I still hurt like crazy and can't sit up. But don't worry, Master. I think I'll live."

Ciel simply nodded. "I'm not going to turn you over to them. Once I saw what they did, it was like any case I'd ever dealt with: people killing the innocent."

"Thank you," I said. Ciel nodded, and then turned to leave.

He stopped at the door. "Get well soon," he said, then walked out of the room without a backwards glance, closing the door behind him.

I lay there, puzzled. The Earl of Phantomhive told me to get better. Was it so I could get back to work? Or did he actually care that I was hurt?

Then another thought crossed my mind. I'd come close to dying in my father's arms. I'd been hit multiple times by anti-demon bullets and lost consciousness. What happened to Dad after it was all over? Had he gotten hurt? I knew he wouldn't have gotten himself killed. Not for me, someone he thought was a random stranger.

I had to know if he was alright. I struggled to sit up, and eventually forced myself to stand, trying to ignore the severe pain in my legs and chest. I left the room, and started down the hall, my hand holding me up against the wall.

I was almost at the end of the hall when I ran into the other maid of the manor. She was wearing the same stupid blue outfit I was, had red hair, and huge round glasses with cracked lenses.

I heard her gasp at the sight of me. I was still wearing my blood covered uniform, torn from where someone had removed the bullets and bandaged me. Why hadn't they bothered to give me some new clothes while they were at it?

She quickly walked over and reached out to me. I took my hand off of the wall and pushed her away, which caused me to lose my balance and fall to the ground, unable to stand again on my own.

The maid helped me up and started to walk me back to my room. Halfway back to my room, I decided to ask her, "Is Sebastian alright?"

The red headed girl nodded. "He was hit in the leg, but he's fine. I don't know how he's able to just carry on like nothing happened. I'll send him to your room later if you'd like."

I nodded, and we continued down the hall until we reached my room.