Chapter 16

I was running for my life. My wings were badly wounded and my legs were starting to give out. I screamed for my father until my throat was raw and my voice hoarse, but he never came.

I tripped and fell to the ground, sliding a few feet before coming to a halt. I tried to stand, but my legs refused to hold me up. I cried out in pain, from my wings, to my legs, to my broken heart. This was it. I would die here.

All around me, demon hunters of all shapes and sizes blocked any possible escape routes. The only way out was up, but my wings were drenched in blood and too heavy and painful to lift. I glanced at the hunters with pleading eyes, but they only smirked.

"At last," someone said, "We can dispose of the last of her kind and ensure that this hideous type of monster will never again walk this earth."

Everyone else cheered. Everyone except for me. I wanted to ask them how killing me would prevent demons and angels from reproducing, but I knew they wouldn't listen. I would just seem like a pathetic monster to them, what with the tears falling from my eyes and the blood-covered wings on my back. And no one was around to help me. I was alone. I would die alone.

A hunter wearing a dark helmet approached and pointed a gun at my head. I stared at them, begging with my eyes for them to spare me.

The hunter then removed their helmet, and I saw that it was a girl. A woman, actually. A woman that I had trusted before all of this. She was smirking at me, and the fact that it was her behind the gun made me want to faint.

The woman was Maria.

"Sorry it had to end like this, Sweetie," she said, never losing that smirk.

"Why?" I croaked out.

She laughed. "Because my husband's right. Living under the same roof as a monster isn't a good thing. I protected you to earn your trust, so that I could see the look on your face that you have now." Her smirk grew wider, and she cocked her gun. "See you on the other side."

She moved the gun to my temple, and I closed my eyes, preparing to take my last breath. Sorry, Mom. I thought. It looks like I'll be meeting up with you a little earlier than expected.

I heard the bang of the gun as it fired, but felt no pain, and more importantly, I wasn't dead. I opened my eyes and looked up. My father was standing above me, the bullet caught between his index and middle fingers.

I smiled at him, but the happy moment was just that; only a moment.

From somewhere behind me, a gun fired, and the bullet was coming right at me.

**

I awoke with a start, gasping for breath. I was sitting up in the bed now, sweating like a pig. I threw the blankets off of me and stood.

I knew I was alive, and now I knew that had only been a terrible nightmare. I was dreaming of the worst possible thing that could happen to me while staying here. In an attempt to calm myself, I tried to stretch my wings, but they still ached. I sat on the edge of the bed, taking deep breaths, knowing I wouldn't get any more sleep that night.

Just then, I heard something tap on the window. I jumped up and checked to see what it was, but all I could see was the darkness outside, barely lit by the rising sun. I shrugged it off, blaming the wind, or maybe it was beginning to rain, and lay back down on the bed.

I heard the tap again, only louder this time. I folded my wings as much as I could, which wasn't much at all, and hid under the blankets. That isn't rain, I thought to myself.

The sound of the window opening without my own hand being the one to guide it was enough to send chills up my spine. The sound of someone climbing inside my room was enough to petrify me. I peeked from under the blanket and saw a man in a lab coat standing by the window, fixing his clothes. The room was dark, but I knew who this man was. It was the only man that knew this place well enough to know how to get in a second story window.

It was Maria's husband. He turned and looked at me, smiling. I hid back under the blanket.

"Why hello, there," he said, coming closer to the bed. I suddenly felt the covers jerked off of me, and when I glanced up at him, he was holding a knife. "How wonderful it is to see you again, young one."

I didn't respond.

"Now, since you've pulled my family apart, killed my associates, and ruined my life, I think I'm going to have to put an end to you running around this world, which means ending your life!"

I screamed for Maria.

"She won't get here in time to save you," he smirked, then lunged at me.