Chapter 2

At the crack of dawn, I jumped from the tree and started toward London again. The hunters and scientists would be searching for me again today. I had to get as far away from where I was as possible so they couldn't track me. I ran to the other side of London and went into a clothing store. I found a dress, tore off the tag, and ran. I heard someone inside yell, but when they saw who I was, they quieted.

I ran to an alley and put on the dress. It was pale blue and had lace around the sleeves and skirt. I tucked my old dress into a corner and told myself I'd come back for it tonight. I ran from the alley and back to where the hunters had almost killed me the night before; where someone had mysteriously saved my life.

I saw my blood still stained on the concrete sidewalk. The guy who had been killed was no longer laying there. In his place was a white chalk outline of his body. The area was blocked off, and a couple police officers were talking to each other a few feet away. Everyone who walked by paid no attention to the crime scene as they went on with their lives. And on top of that, no one seemed to recognize me! I took that as a sign that my disguise was working.

I squeezed my eyes shut, hoping they were hazel instead of blood red. I opened them and saw that most people were ignoring me. A couple of people smiled at me or said hello. I smiled to them as I walked by.

I walked out of the crowd and into a small park. I found a bench and sat, trying to tame my waist length black hair. Looking around the park, I saw kids running around happily. Parents were sitting on nearby benches in the shade of large, green-yellow trees watching their children, who were laughing and playing.

"Hey," said a voice beside me.

I looked over and saw a kid, maybe 10 years old, looking up at me. "Yes?"

"You look like that girl I saw in the newspaper this morning. Do you have wings like she does?"

The kid's parents were now looking at me, no doubt wondering why their child was speaking to a random stranger. Then I noticed something... They happened to be the same scientists as the ones who were chasing me the night before.

I did my best to remain calm. "Really? Someone around here has wings? I must have missed that story."

"Do you have wings?" the kid repeated.

"No, I don't," I lied.

"Are you sure?" asked a voice from behind me.

I turned my head around to see the scientist who had yelled at his workers not to kill me. He must have snuck over while I was distracted by the child beside me.

I kept a straight face while I replied, "Positive."

"Then you won't mind if I check?" he asked.

"Of course I'll mind!" I screamed at him, jumping up. "What gives you the right to go around feeling teenage girls' backs, you freak?"

Just then I felt two arms go around me. "Got ya!" someone yelled.

"Nice job!" the man said. "Peter, grab her legs."

"Yes sir!" the little boy said, jumping up and grabbing my legs. He tied them together with a rope, smiling proudly. I would have kicked him away, but I refused to hurt a child. He wasn't much younger than me. I didn't want to hurt any kids if I could help it.

The person behind me reached around and handcuffed me. The metal hurt when it touched my skin. Was the metal anti-demon or anti-angel?

I saw the other kids in the park watching us, and they looked concerned and frightened. I refused to get any of them involved in this.

I turned and saw the person who had handcuffed me was a woman. She had blonde hair and looked to be in her 30's.

I felt the man grab me from behind. I elbowed him hard in the stomach and he stumbled backward. He looked at me in shock.

"You're stronger than I thought you'd be," he said. The woman grabbed my arms as the man tried again.

"What gives you the right to do this!?" I screamed.

The man smirked. "I'm a scientist. All I have to do is tell the Scotland Yard I was doing this for my research, and they'll let me go without a second thought." He laughed and reached into the slits in the back of the dress I had cut for my wings.

He touched my right wing, and I shivered. I wasn't used to anyone touching my wings, and it was an unwanted experience. When he touched my left wing, my black demon wing, I lost it.

I shook my arms from the woman's grip and turned fast. I used both my hands and pushed the man away from me. I saw the children all around me, scared and rushing to their parents.

I broke the rope that was around my feet and ran away from the people at full speed. The handcuffs hurt worse while I was running and they were continuously hitting my wrists. I felt tears swimming in my eyes, and I shook my head as I made my way to the forest, hoping to hide in the thick trees.

Once I was there, I screamed, "Dad! Where are you?!"

*

Meanwhile, at the Phantomhive Estate:

Sebastian set a tray on his master's desk and poured Ciel some tea. The boy sat at a large wooden desk covered with papers. His large chair had deep purple cushions, and was placed before a large window, drapes pulled back to let in the morning sunlight. He bowed to his master after being told the tea was acceptable, then left the room.

On the way down the long hallway, he stopped dead in his tracks.

"Dad! Where are you?!" he heard his daughter scream from the woods outside of London.

Sebastian smiled. "I'm closer than you think, Selena," he said before continuing down the hall.