Chapter 36: Adrenaline Rush

[ A/N: hey guess who it is!! this 38k long chapter is mostly filled with sucky action scenes, so i hope y'all can live through the boredom lmao, good luck!! other than that, this chapter is basically: doyeon becoming gay for yeri in a span of 15 minutes, and: yoongi channeling his inner akashi seijuro, so try to have fun with that too.

still, even tho this chappie is basically 90% action, i tried my best to include some shippy moments for all of our needs <3 i mean we are getting 10k words of wenga after all ;-) i apologize for any typos! ]

——————

"D-Doyeon?!" Yeri shamelessly sputtered as her hands flailed forwards to grip onto the railings surrounding her in an attempt to steady herself. Her jaw was made completely slack as it practically dropped to the floor, while her eyes were widened impossibly enough to completely fall off her head— a hyperbole, of course, but that was what she had truly felt like at the given time.

Perhaps her nerves were completely fried from the shock, too. For a rather uneventful day (save for the incident with Junhoe back in Julius Academy's floor), Yeri wasn't really expecting anymore surprises for the rest of the hour. Then again, with the Decagon Games unceremoniously coming to an end in just one more day, fate must have decided to shoehorn as many twists as possible into the amount of time they have left here. Yay?

Well, on the bright side, at least Doyeon fortunately seemed just as surprised to see her as well, doe eyes blown wide and mouth open to form an 'O' as she stared back at her with the same deer in headlights expression. If she wasn't feeling the exact same way, she probably would've bursted out laughing at the comicality of it all. "Y-Yerim, I thought you were just competing in Mirage Bat this whole time!"

"I didn't even know that you were a contestant in Ice Pillar Break, for God's sake!" Yeri cried back, still trying to get ahold of herself...and her current situation, for that matter. Letting out a groan of frustration, the young blonde points a finger at her sort-of-new friend accusingly. "Why didn't you say anything earlier?! At least then, I wouldn't be getting a mini heart attack when a match is about to start!"

"I'm sorry!" she squeaked in her wide-eyed daze, clearly just as flustered as she was. Yerim decided that it was good to see that she wasn't completely alone in the over-exaggerated reactions department. And from the subtle prodding of the crowd's curious gazes on them, she could guess that this display was starting to prove to be quite an entertaining show for them. Huh.

Over at the audience's seats, Sehun could be seen wearing the blankest expression that had ever plastered itself on his handsome face, made even more comical with the sunglasses he was adorning. Somehow, he felt like he was only seconds away from bursting into fondness-induced flames. "For some reason, I feel like I'm being mercilessly attacked with double the dose of cuteness this time."

"How coincidental, Sehunnie," Taehyung piped up with an oddly wistful tone of voice, seeming close enough to melting into putty as he watched the cataclysmic clash of two equally adorable individuals occur at the arena below. "I'm feeling the exact same way..." he sighed, seeming to have completely mellowed out into a puddle of goo as he unceremoniously deflated from overheating.

"How about you two do yourselves a favor and simply close your eyes?" Wonwoo mutters crossly in his sleep, head laxly leaned against the headrest of the seat as his own pair of sunglasses protects him from the blaring sunlight situated above. "Unless you want to be completely K.O.'ed like macho man over here," he opted to gesture into a certain direction, showing a blissed out Jungkook slumped over his seat as his soul did not have the strength to hold up against the sheer impact of the two girls' unbeatable combined 'attack'.