Chapter 5: Encounters

'The first day has been decent so far,' Yeri noted as she walked down the hallways with Momo and Mina, after she finally sorted out her locker (it was strangely coincidental, how she ended up taking the one next to Momo's, but she had no complaints). Mina and her hit it off quick, becoming friends in a matter of moments seeing that they had quite a lot of common interests. It was fun to talk with someone like her, and Yeri found herself smiling happily as she chatted with the girl, not even minding Momo's nonchalant silence. It seemed like a normal occurrence anyways, and even if she had only met them for a day (an hour, in Mina's case), she felt like she had known them forever. She had a feeling she'll enjoy school with these two as her friends.

Speaking of school (or more specifically, class), after the weekly practical evaluation, BoA went on to continue with the lesson, explaining briefly that she will call out random pairs who would spar with each other. Since she was new, BoA told her she didn't need to do it, and Jungkook ended up sparring with the teacher herself. The battle ended with a tie, though it was obvious that BoA received the short end of the stick. The battle still amazed her to no end, as she replayed the gobsmacking scene in her head again and again. The class almost ended up destroyed because of them, but Jaehyun was quick to fix it up quickly, and near the end of the lesson, the class looked as good as new. The lesson drew to a close with BoA announcing that the class will be sparring with each other in groups of two, with their respective seat-mates, during the next lesson, leaving the students either to complain to each other, or squeal in delight.

Yeri's reaction to the announcement was an onslaught of nervousness. She was quite intrigued to spar as a team with a certain Jeon Jungkook, but she was also rather anxious, hoping she wouldn't be holding him down when the time came for them to fight together. His strength exceeds hers by a large margin- heck, he's even stronger than her brother! Jungkook was well-known to be a prodigy among the 1st Years (as stated by Mina), which was worrying, to say the least. She'll be completely overshadowed! If anything, she'd only get in his way. He's been rather nice to her so far, but that doesn't make her any less on edge. What if his behavior to her changes when he sees how weak she is compared to him? She didn't want that. She wants him to keep being nice to her.

It was a selfish wish, really.

When BoA was babbling on about the Institute of Magic and some other things she has never heard of before, Yeri completely blanked out, having no idea what she was talking about. She didn't learn any magic-based subjects with Miss Yeeun this year, so it was like listening to someone speak in some kind of alien language. She leaned back in her seat and stared ahead of her blankly, lost.

She noticed Jungkook regard her with a raised eyebrow. "You seem confused."

"That's because I am..." she mumbled, embarrassed to admit it. Way to make herself look dumb in front of the third seat.

"Hmm," he hummed, turning back around to pay attention to the subject, which caused her to turn red (God, how she wanted to hide at that moment). He listened to BoA thoroughly. It must've been something he hasn't heard of before, because if it was, he wouldn't be listening to BoA's lectures either. After a few minutes passed, he sighed, BoA's voice still projected loudly in the background as she spoke. He tilted his head to face her, and her breath caught in her throat when they made eye contact.

'Ah, he is very pretty,' she admitted to herself, eyeing his disheveled black locks and smooth porcelain skin. It made her want to reach her hand out and run it through those dark tresses, made her wonder how nice it would feel between her fingers-

"I'll...help you out," he said hesitantly, and Yeri blinks a couple of times in confusion, registering his words. "Huh?"

"You missed out on quite a lot here, right?" he averted his gaze from her, taking a sudden interest in the material his table is made out of. "I'll assist you in catching up. I can mentor you once a week or so. Do...Wednesdays after school hours sound fine? At the observatory?"