Chapter 28: White For Innocence

[ TRIGGER WARNING: graphic violence, brief mentions of sexual assault. i don't usually do author's notes right at the start of a chapter, but i just wanted to emphasize on this in case y'all didn't see the "mature content" tag. happy reading. ]

——————

Yeri blinked, shocked at the turn of events. Jungkook's fangirls were quick to scream at the top of their lungs at the mention of his name, but she couldn't pay attention to all that. Hesitantly, she snuck a glance at Jimin down at the arena.

This was odd. It wasn't the fact that she was chosen was shocking, but everything just didn't feel right. Something was off, but she couldn't pinpoint what.

It was moments later that she realized she was staring at Jimin for too long, but just as she was about to look away, Jimin directed his gaze towards her, meeting her eyes—

Static.

Yeri flinched back, covering her mouth as she looked away, pupils dilated.

What the hell was that? His eyes, his eyes— staring straight into them felt like some kind of chill, an electric shock sent straight down her spine. When she risked glancing at him again, nothing happened when they made eye contact— he only waved at her, smiling, which she replied to with an awkward wave of her own.

Weird.

Hearing a scoff next to her, she turned to see an amused Jungkook. "Random?" he repeated sarcastically, doing air quotation gestures with his hands. "When we're right next to each other?"

Yeri shifted in her seat. "Well...Mark and Jimin sat pretty close by to each other too..."

"See, that one's weird, too," Jungkook sighed, standing up and helping her up without hesitation, before heading to the nearest staircase leading down to the arena. "Out of all of Julius' competitors, they picked the remaining two of their Elite Ten. It's fishy."

Yeri politely greeted and waved at the fans she passed by as she walked along Jungkook's side, narrowly dodging the bunch of gifts and various other goods sent at the 1st Year prodigy's way. "Well, that's not what I'm worried about," she mumbled, stopping in her tracks.

Jungkook too, stopped, turning around to regard her questioningly. "What is it?" he glanced at Mark and Jimin's distant figures on the arena. "Are you worried about the match?"

She fiddled with her hands, nails digging into the skin of her forearms from nervousness. Soon, her hands started to shake, anxiety building up in the pits of her stomach as she closed her eyes. "I-It's just that I never thought that I'd be chosen, and the fact that we're going up against them of all people just got me really nervous because they're both really strong and—"

A hand moved and wrapped around her wrist, tugging at them forward. When Yeri opened her eyes, Jungkook had her hand in his, bringing them closer to his face until his lips barely ghosted over them.

Like magic, all her apprehension disappeared.

Her eyes widened in shock, lips parting open. 'How did he know—?'

They've taken Minnie away for testing again.

Even if little Yeri was isolated from most of the other subjects, she wasn't stupid. She didn't know what the mean men in lab coats had against Minnie, but they always mess with him most frequently compared to the other subjects. Out of all the other subjects she knew, his screams were always heard the most, and it came coupled with crackles of electricity from the dreaded lab far down the hallway.