Chapter 4: A Monster

Start from the beginning

"Actually... maybe I'm wrong!" she exclaimed. Levi rolled his eyes and tugged his arm away from her, annoyed by the exaggeration. Clearly, even through the fabric of his shirt, he was well-built and rather muscular.

"Is this any way to talk to your superior?" Levi asked sharply. "Don't touch me without asking for permission."

"I mean—"

Within the blink of an eye, Levi pinned Chi's back against the wall, his hands against the brick on both sides of her head. He brought his face closer to hers until their noses were almost touching, his gaze almost livid.

"O—oi?!" Chi cried, shrinking against the wall. "What are you doing?! Back up!"

"I have an important title, but that doesn't mean I have to kiss everyone's ass. I'm your Commander, you idiot. You can't insult me whenever you like. Just because you can kill a Titan or two without training wheels doesn't that mean you can throw your ego around like some oblivious buffoon."

Chi's eyebrows rose. Levi seemed infuriated. She wondered what was bothering him. She placed a hand on Levi's cheeks and his hard expression fell away, replaced with surprise.

"You're only human," she taunted. He sneered, but she held his gaze.

"Do you think I'm not aware of that?"

Chi fell into deep thought. "Probably."

"You are the same." Levi grimaced.

Letting out a dry chuckle, Chi shook her head. "Of course I'm not. We both know this."

Levi's eyebrows knit at the comment. "Then what the hell do you think you are?"

"I'm a monster, of course. Isn't it clear? Blockhead." Chi dropped her hand from his face and ducked under Levi's arms to leave. "Anyway, your food is going to get cold. So get your tiny butt over to the table, Heichou." She knew she would probably get punished later, but she enjoyed seeing this side of Levi.

Perhaps she could have a little fun.

~~~~~

The sky was a peachy color, reddening from the setting sun. Deep purple curled into the dark scarlet hues, the earth cooling with the night's approach. Chi clapped happily as she watched Eren flip Gunther over his shoulder.

"Nice, Eren!" she praised. "You're catching on really quickly! I'm proud of you" Eren pumped his fist into the air excitedly.

"Alright!" he cheered.

Levi stood a ways away, facilitating their training. He was clearly irritated; Chi's words from earlier had been replaying themselves in his head for some time now, and it was annoying.

"...I'm a monster, of course. Isn't it clear? Blockhead."

Strangely, it bugged him; how she resisted, how she fought against him without fail, and always seemed to win. On top of that, her choice of words always left her speechless. He had no idea what to think, or what to say in response. And, once again, she had the audacity to tease him and call him names like it was some kind of game. Levi groaned in frustration and pinched the skin between his knit eyebrows.

What a pain.

"Something bothering you?" Chi asked. Eren helped Gunther to his feet and thanked him for being his training partner.

"Don't talk to me, you idiot," Levi sneered. Chi's eyes narrowed and she huffed, turning away. His sharp attitude hadn't changed at all, even a little bit.

"Asshole," she muttered under her breath. She went to Eren, congratulating him for his hard work. He surprised Chi with a hug.

"Thank you so much for being my mentor!" he said happily, squeezing her tightly. "My growth is all thanks to you. Every time we practice together, I can almost feel myself getting stronger. I have so much fun when you're teaching me." Chi smiled and patted him on the head.