Chapter 2 Humble, Polite, Respectful

Being humble means you are not arrogant. It means you don't have excessive pride in yourself, combined with contempt for others. Being humble means you place yourself beneath others in stature.It also means you don't measure yourself against others, because you have self worth and don't validate your self worth by other people's opinions of you or by what you think they are or have achieved. Note how there's a difference between confident and arrogant; the arrogant looks down on people, the confident doesn't measure and compete.

Being polite means you're not rude, you have good manners. It means you're not obscene, offensive, robust and tough. Being polite means you're another degree of gentle and kind.

Respect is having regard for others. It is considering them worthy of attention. All people should be considered worthy, as none of us have the right to judge a person's worth. Therefore, we should show respect to all people, regardless of who or what we think they are.

Showing respect to people who are rude and arrogant is exceptionally difficult, but it's worth doing so, in an attempt to build them up, to the point where they gain self respect as well. Once we understand that those who lack self worth are arrogant and rude, it becomes clearer why they behave as they do. It's not that you're not worth the respect, its that they're not, in their own eyes. As with most people, they treat you as they treat themselves. Therefore, if I don't have respect for myself, how can I have respect for you? If I don't know how to respect myself, how do I know how to respect you? By being shown different.

When we don't choose to show others different, especially when they are arrogant and rude, in the end, it comes down to this:
"All I see is how you despise, the only way I know, how to live my life, you don't show me, any different. So I live my life, with hatred in my eyes, cause it's all I know, its all I've been shown." - J.H. Burger