Chapter 36:

Izzy's POV: 

I have to wake up earlier then usual the next morning due to the fact that my friend Rachel has my car. 

She texted me late last night asking if she could borrow it to go see her family today and me, being the nice person I am, said no. 

At first. 

But then she nagged me and I eventually gave in. I have known her sense we were 3, just about the same length I have known Ian and Jacob but they don't know Rachel very well, so I know that she is not the best driver around. But she has done plenty for me in the past, and most likely the future, so I let her take my baby.

I go through my usual morning routine, laying on my bed until the very last minute and then rushing to put clothes on. 

I take an extra long time this morning due to the fact that I feel like death. It's not anything specific but the cold has just weakened my body. And I feel the overwhelming need to shower because my fever broke last night so I was sweating during the hot flashes. I just feel gross. But I don't have time to shower. I just settle on washing my face. 

The closer it gets to Christmas the more bone fucking cold it gets. I decide go wear my white sweater with the dark red jeans and black boots with a matching burgundy scarf. I also put on my black jacket over. 

By the time I reach the classroom I feel like my nose and ears are frozen off. I can feel myself shaking deep in my bones. I have the dire urge to curl in on myself and sleep for months. Harry was right, I should have stayed home. 

I was so close to giving up this morning and going back to sleep but that would have meant I wouldn't see Harry for longer and I didn't care how cheesy it sounded I wanted to see him. Even if it meant sitting in a boring class while dying on the inside.

Right now I am thinking back to that decision and mentally smacking myself. 

"You look cold." Niall comments as I take my seat. Harry isn't here yet. 

"Thanks for the update." I reply and pull out my stuff. I end up dropping my phone from the whole lack of feeling in my fingers thing. 

"Smooth." Niall laughs. 

"Shut up." I look around the floor to where it could have slid to. 

"Hey Izzy you missing something?" Raul says from behind me. I turn to find him with my phone. 

"Yes, and if you would be so kind as to give it back." I hold out my hand. I know for a fact he isn't going to give it back though. I have known him for a couple years and we always mess with each other. 

"What's the magic word?" 

"Fuck off." 

"That's two words Izzy." 

I roll my eyes, get up, and snatch my phone out of his hand. 

"Well that's just cheating." Raul smiles. He looks behind me and suddenly becomes amused. 

I turn to find Harry has arrived and is glaring at Raul. 

"It's all good man," Raul laughs, "I was just messing with her. Like old times." 

Harry gives me a suspicious look. 

"I've had the unfortunate pleasure of knowing this loser for a while." I gesture to Raul. 

"Oh come on Izzy, you know you love me." He shimmies in his seat.

"You're just digging yourself a grave." I move past Harry and take my seat again. 

I have nothing against Raul, in fact I like him, as a friend. We have alway gotten along in a kind of always-playfully-poking-fun-at-each-other type of way. 

"I don't like him." Harry says and sits next to me. 

"You don't like anyone." I counter and set my phone on top of my bag that sits on the floor between me and Harry because I'm to lazy to lean down and open my bag. 

"I especially don't like him." 

"I'm torn." 

"What do you mean?" 

"On one hand I like it when you are jealous cause it's flattering and sweet but at the same time it's annoying." 

"Well now I don't know how to react." 

"Good, I like to make things complicated for you." I give him a peck on the cheek. He just huffs and looks to Mrs. Buffa who has started the lecture. I follow his gaze and watch as she bounces around the room with her pregnant belly and weird enthusiasm. 

I zone out about half way through the lesson and end up blankly staring at the notes I have been writing. 

I have a bad habit of this but Niall is nice enough to always let me copy his notes. 

"Belle." Harry whispers. 

"Mmhmm." I grunt in response but can't seem to take my eyes off the desk. 

"Boobear called you." He says coldly. I look down to find my phone screen lit up. 

/*Missed call from Boobear*/

"It's just Rachel. She borrowed my car for today and tomorrow, I told her to call me when she makes it to her parents." I shortly explain. 

"Is that why you look so cold. Did you walk to school?" 

"Yes." 

"Belle you are sick, you shouldn't have been out in the cold." 

"Ya, tell me about it. I'm still mentally smacking myself for it." 

"Well after this I'm taking you home and you're gonna sleep or something." 

"Alright alright, no need to get all bossy. I'm not complaining." I glance over at Niall's notes and realize I have missed an entire page. "Fuck." I mutter and begin to copy his as he writes. 

I nearly have caught up to the notes when Harry whispers my name again. 

"What?" I turn to him. Mrs. Buffa looks at us and glares, her version of a warning. 

Harry just looks down at my phone. I follow his gaze and find another notification has popped up. 

/*Missed call from Sea Cow*/ 

I look back up to find Harry giving me a suspicious look. 

"Rachel's mom," I whisper, "I call her that because that's what she told me to call her." I quickly justify the contacts name. "I wonder why she is calling me." I mumble. 

"Doesn't she know you are in class?" 

"Yea, but she probably forgot." 

"Call her back after class." Harry shrugs and returns his attention to the lecture. 

Thanks for your permission. I sarcastically remark in my mind. 

We finish the notes and begin working on some worksheet when Harry whispers my name again. 

"What!?" I say rather hostilely. 

"Shh Izzy don't be so loud." Raul says from behind me. I shoot him a playful glare before returning my attention to Harry, who looks displeased with Raul's comment. 

Harry simply motions to my phone again and I sigh before looking down at it. 

/*Missed call from Two Face*/ 

My heart stops. 

That shaking in my bones returns. 

I can't take my eyes off the screen even after it goes black. 

I take notice to my rapid breathing and attempt to control it. 

Rachel what did you get yourself into.

"Who is that?" Harry asks. 

"Rachel's older sister." I stutter. 

Helen, Rachel's older sister, and I have never gotten along. The fact that she is calling me mans something is horribly wrong. Rachel and I agreed that it would be the signal a long time ago. 

"Belle are you ok?" Niall asks. 

"I don't know." 

I grab my phone and open up a text to Two Face. 

/*In class, can't talk on phone. What's wrong?*/

I twiddle my phone in my hands under my desk as I impatiently wait for a reply. It helps take the attention away from my shaking hands. 

"Belle tell me what's wrong?" Harry leans closer and whispers. 

"I'll tell you once I find out." I sigh. 

I am just about to rip my hair out of my head when Helen finally replies. 

/*There was an accident. Car is totaled and Rachel isn't in bad shape. Come soon*/ 

At the bottom is a address for a hospital. 

I crack. 

The phone drops from my hands. 

Mrs. Buffa's head snaps up and she stares at the phone then me. 

I think I'm gonna hurl. 

My phone screen lights up from the ground and I look down to find another text. 

/*Just realized you don't have a car. Do I need to come and get you?*/ 

"Isabelle, am I going to have to take that?" Mrs. Buffa asks. 

"I.. Uh..." My thoughts are swimming and I can't seem to fish one out. 

"Well?" Mrs. Buffa raises an eyebrow. 

I still remain silent. 

"Belle," Harry whispers as he bends down to retrieve my phone, "what's going on?" 

"Harry, please bring me her phone." Mrs. Buffa says. 

I crumble. 

I finally take a breath and snatch my phone from Harrys hand. 

"I'm sorry I have to go." I stand. 

"Isabelle you can't just leave without a note or-" 

"I don't really care." I weave around desks and out of the room, leaving all my stuff behind except my phone. 

I make it outside and dial Helens number when I hear someone come up behind me. I'm not shocked to find Harry followed me. 

"Belle what the hell is going on." He demands. 

"Izzy?" I hear Helens voice from my phone. 

"I uh- I need a ride." I tell Helen. 

"Where are you?" She asks. 

"No you don't," Harry says, "I will drive you wherever you need. Just talk to me." 

I break.

My heart rate is dangerously high. 

My breaths are short. 

My tears threaten to spill but I hold them back. 

"Never mind Helen, I got it covered. See you soon." My voice shakes as I hang the phone up. 

"Well?" Harry crosses his arms. He has his eyebrows raised to add onto his annoyed look. 

"Rachel was in an accident. I need a ride to the hospital." Is all I can think to say. I don't really feel like going into detail. 

His posture softens and his eyebrows come together. 

"I'm sorry... I didn't-" 

"It's fine. Let's just go." I sniff and wipe my nose that has begun to run because of the cold. I turn to begin to walk before I realize I don't know where he parked. 

"Follow me." He grabs my hand and pulls me along. I trail slightly behind him, focusing on my feet. When I look up I notice that he has his bag over his shoulder and my bag in his hand. 

"You got my bag?" I stupidly say the obvious. 

"Ya, I thought you were having another episode so I grabbed your stuff just incase." He leads the hand he holds to the back of his shirt where he coils my fist around the fabric so he can dig out his keys with his now free hand. My knuckles graze his back and he leans forward slightly. 

"Fuck your hands are freezing." He fumbles with his keys to unlock the doors. 

"Thanks." I mumble as I climb into the car.

I fold in on myself. 

My knees are to my chest. 

My seat belt is as tight as it can get. 

My knuckles are practically white from my grip on the door. 

"Belle it's gonna be ok." Harry puts our bags in the back before climbing in the drivers seat and starting the engine. 

"Don't say that. You can't possibly know that." I lean my head against the window. 

"Belle I-" 

"Please don't. Don't try to make it better. Just drive, she it at the hospital down the street, didn't even make it very far." I'm afraid if I talk much more I will break into horrific tears.

Harry leans over and kisses the top of my head before putting the car on drive and pulling out.

I automatically close my eyes as soon as the car starts moving and pretend I am somewhere else.

This works for the first couple of minutes, until Harry slams on the breaks. 

My eyes spring open as my body lurks forward and my hand snap out to prevent myself from hitting the dash. 

"Sorry, this asshole stopped short of the light." Harry looks over at me. 

I wither. 

I think my heart is no loner beating. 

Flashes of every car accident I have ever scene pop in my mind. 

But instead of random people it's Rachel being pulled away on a stretcher. 

"Hey, come back to me." Harry rubs my back as I burry my face in my bent knees. 

Goosebumps appear on my skin where he rubs. 

"I don't wanna come back." Is all I say. 

*** A/N: I made a couple edits for this book. They are on Instagram on Ahyes_ThoseLifeRuiners and its not a locked account so you dont have to follow if you want to check them out. Tag me if you make any edits, I would love to see them!

I see Izzy as Emma Stone when she had red hair. Who do you guys see her as?***