Chapter Twenty-Six: The Introduction

Chapter Twenty- Six

I’m not exactly sure what I was expecting but this guy wasn’t it. I don’t get it but I pictured him to be older but then again there are no old Immortals and most vampires are young. Also, a vampire wouldn’t have been able to put something like this together all by their self; it had to be an Immortal. And it is. He’s an Immortal; he looks like one, acts like one, and smells like one.

            “Andre has always liked hair,” the guy says, “I guess he went a little too far this time.”

            Andre opens his mouth to say that I made it disappear but I beat him to the punch and will my hair to grow back. I let it fall to its normal length – the small of my back – before stopping the growth.

            “Nice trick,” the man sneers. “I guess we inherited the same Gift,” I furrow my eyebrows. What exactly does he mean? I glance at Damon, whose sitting in the middle of the room. I wonder if he knows what this guy’s talking about.

            “I guess I should introduce myself since your brain can’t piece together what should have been inferred from that sentence,” the man spits rudely. “My name is Gabriel.”

            His name is obviously supposed to lapse into a dramatic effect if he seemed so exasperated to explain it further. I don’t know anybody named Gabriel and I don’t think I’ve known anybody with the same name ever. So it has to be someone that I haven’t met but heard about. My mind flashes back and comes to a memory, a memory that involves my parents and I know. My eyes go wide in shock and my mouth falls open.

            “Judging from that, you know who I am,” he says.

            “But you can’t be, you’re supposed to be dead,” I mutter, shaking my head.

            “Oh but as you can see I’m very much alive,” he says. “And technically speaking I’m biologically your brother.”

            “No you’re not you died shortly after you were born,” I say. “It’s impossible.”

            “No, it’s highly unlikely, not impossible,” he corrects me. “I was taken away as an infant and raised outside of your community. Later on I was informed of my real life.”

            “Why?”

            “Really, you’re asking me that,” he spits, “you of all people should know. You’re the one that caused me to be practically exiled.”

            “How, I wasn’t even born,” I say, standing up.

            “No but I was the first child meaning that the second one was the important one,” he says. “Other people knew that the prophecy had to do with my parent’s and Ruby’s and they knew that they probably wouldn’t have a second child if the first one was in the picture.”

            I frown. This sounds horrible and I almost feel a flicker of sadness for him before I remember what he’s done and doing.

            “So they made it seem like Ruby and I died and left with us,” he says.

            “Ruby’s alive?” I question. If I recall correctly that’s was supposed to be the name of Damon’s sister.

            “You don’t talk when I’m talking,” he snaps at me before turning to Andre. “Why don’t you make yourself useful and go and get the bitch.”

            Andre’s face darkens at being yelled at. He doesn’t like it but he won’t disobey Gabriel for some reason. Is it because he’s afraid of him? Andre’s incredibly strong and if he’s frightened or intimidated by Gabriel we’re in trouble.