The Ones That Got Away

Start from the beginning

"He sounds like he should be in a secure facility."Ravi said, sounding scared.I nodded."With 24 hour watch."I added."Well, enough time wasting while our tootsies get all pruney.Time to catch that fish."Ravi said and I nodded."Oh, were gonna catch em'."Lou told him.

"He's close.I can smell him."Lou said.She started to smell the air.Ravi and I both smelled the air.All of us smelled the air.I don't smell Big Whiskers, but do smell a whole lot of things other than that.

"Are you sure that's Big Whiskers?"I asked her."Because I am pretty sure this camp shares a property line with a crematorium."Ravi said.I nodded."I see him.I spy with my little eye, a fish I will choke, and then watch die."Lou sung darkly.

"Wow.You just took a joyful childhood game and turned it ugly."I said."Big Whiskers!Welcome to my grip of death!"Lou said.She stuck her hand in the water and brought up a boot."At least you caught a sole."Ravi said.She looked at him.

"Because it is the part of a shoe.And the name of fish."Ravi informed her.He grabbed something from his overalls."Samosa?"He offered her."Just hand me a fly.I grabbed a fly and handed it to Ravi and he handed it to Lou.

"Good idea!If we want to win this competition, we should-,"Then Lou ate the fly."I did not see that coming."I said."Why, may I ask, did you just eat a fly?"Ravi asked her."To know your enemy, you must be like him.Before last year's contest, I took a bath in tarter sauce."Lou told us.

I gave her a look that said, "Really?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Here, fishy fishy!Here, fishy fishy!"Lou said creepily.Me and Ravi were sitting on some rocks on shore.She gasped when she saw something beneath her.Probably more junk she thought was Big Whiskers.

"Got ya, punk!"she exclaimed.She took her hands underwater and pulled up half of a rubber pipe.She groaned in frustration."Big Whiskers!Why won't you let me choke you out?"she asked to no one in particular.She threw it on the shore and some of the water flopped on me and Ravi.

"On the bright side, you have collected enough items to make a lovely rummage sale."Ravi told her."I'm pretty sure all she cares about is chocking the living daylights out of Big Whiskers."I told him.

"I know your there, Big Whiskers.Laughing at me.Well, I can laugh, too."she said creepily.Then, she started to laugh creepily."Maybe we should take a little break!"Ravi called out to her."Because the fish is clearly broken you."I said though clenched teeth.Ravi nodded.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After a few minutes, we still haven't caught Big Whiskers."That's it.I give up!I gave that fish the best years of my life!And it was all for nothing!"Lou said.I shook my head in disappointment.Ravi put his hand on her shoulder.

"Lou.Here is some advice from someone who knows quite a bit about failure:Perhaps catching the fish is not what is most important.Maybe the quest is what matters most."Ravi told her."Yeah, Ravi's right.It's not about the destination.It's about the journey along the way."I said to her.

"Nope.Really wanted to catch that fish."Lou told us."Oh!Maybe a snack will cheer you up.Fly?"he offered to Lou."No more flies for me.I don't deserve em'."Lou said.g"I'll just take a samosa."Lou said, having her hand out.Ravo took one out of his overalls and handed it to Lou.

She took a bite out of it and then dropped it in the water in disappointment and sadness.Then, something grabbed onto her hand.It was Big Whiskers!"Big Whiskers!"Lou exclaimed happily.

"I need help!"Lou said.I grabbed the other end of Big Whiskers.Wow, they don't call him Big Whiskers for nothing.When I grabbed the other end, it accidentally hit Ravi in the stomach."I did it!I finally got em'!"Lou yelled."In yo' fish face, Big Whiskers!"I said.

"You won!You finally bested your nemesis!"Ravi told her."You're right.I did.I won."Lou said.We let go of him and put back in the water."Bye, Big Whiskers!"I called out to him."Hope you live a long fish life!"I said."Why in the catfish crackers did you two do that?"Ravi asked us, obviously confused.

"Well, I just realized I've had of fun chasing Big Whiskers over the years."Lou told him."Yeah, like you said, it's the quest that matters."I said."Who cares about the stinkin' quest?I was going to win a non-math related contest!That bottom feeder was my ticket to the top!"Ravi complained.I put my hand on his shoulder.

"Ravi, it was the right thing to do."I told him."I guess so."Ravi said."Who knew samosas were his favorite snack?"I shrugged."All these years I've been eating flies for nothin'."Lou said.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

All of the kids were gathering on the great lawn to determine the winner of the fishing competition."Attention, campers!Time to announce the the winner of the Camp Kikiwaka fishing contest!"Gladys announced.

Everyone was clapping and cheering."We've got this contest won.We had the best catch."Zuri said."I had a great catch, too.But, I lost him.He had big, green eyes and a huge smile and can play guitar like an angel."Emma said and she walked away."Wow.What keep kind of mutant fish are in that lake?"Ravi asked.I shrugged.

"And now, the moment you've all been waiting for,"She started to say."I don't give a flying fish who wins this competition because I'm gonna die alone and sad with no one to love me."she said sadly."Great.Now I don't even remember what I was talking about.Oh, right. The competition."she remembered.

"Tiffany and Zuri.You won.Whoopee."Gladys said with no enthusiasm, giving them the trophy.We all clapped for them."We won!"Zuri said happily."Yes!"Tiffany said and they high fived."Why don't the winners come over for a photo op with the prize winning catch?"Gladys told them, leading them over to the fish they caught.Wow, that's a big one.

"Frames will be available for purchase for 19.95."Gladys told them.They were about to take the picture, but a whole bunch of vegetables came out of the fish.We all gasped."Wow.This fish is so thoughtful.It stuffed itself!"Zuri tried to cover up.

"You both cheated!"I said, taking away their trophy."We're so sorry, Gladys!Please, please, don't tell my mom!"Tiffany pleaded to her."Well, I was just gonna disqualify you, but calling your mom is a better idea.Thanks."Gladys said.

"Noooooooooo!"Tiffany shouted."Gladys, please.It was my idea to cheat.If your going to tell someone's mom, tell mine."Zuri told her."Well, it's no fun if you want me to do it.Your both disqualified and punished."Gladys told them.

"Yayyyyy!"They both cheered and hugged."You guys are weirdos."she said and walked away.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tiffany and Zuri's punishment for cheating was to clean up the mess hall.When it got dark out, we all went to bed.

Finally finished!Now on to Can You Hear Me Now?Sorry for the sucky ending.I didn't even try.😑😶