He noticed me observing him and let out a prodding look.

"I'm just thinking." I gave one last glance before giving a quirked smile, silently thinking that his undercut hairstyle suited his austere personality. "You're very good looking."

Gabriel choked on his spit as I bluntly stated my opinion.

"Really, I never noticed before." I laughed, not ashamed for my honesty. "Obviously I've realized it the first time we bumped into each other."

"Well—"

"It's like... you suddenly morphed all of a sudden."

"You really shouldn't be staring at me for too long." He composed himself from my earlier compliment.

"Why so?"

A velvety voice responded. "It's dangerous."

"I don't believe you," I responded in a haze.

The irises were mixing into a golden hue, and I could almost see another person standing in front of me.

'Novalie, you have to stop getting ensnared by people's spirits.'

The trance suddenly shattered, it was then that I noticed Gabriel walking hastily away. I was about to shout an apology for whatever just happened, but Connie grabbed my arm and pulled me towards him, forcing us to look directly together.

"Good, it didn't take full effect."

I tried getting rid of the foggy feeling. "What was that?"

Connie ignored the question as he mumbled to himself.

"Connie," I snapped. "What the hell did Gabriel just do?"

The unicorn gave an annoyed expression. "We know what spirit he has, why don't you go brilliantly deduct it yourself?"

"I—I don't know..." I eloquently stated.

"Exactly," he hissed. "You need to stop befriending such dangerous people before getting yourself killed. What just occurred was basically Gabriel doing nothing and his spirit doing everything subconsciously."

"I've spent time with him in the past, so what did I do differently this time?" I frowned. "Gabriel almost seemed to be transforming into another person."

"Only you were experiencing the occurrence. Kelpie spirits don't actually change form, it's those who gaze upon them for too long that are lured in. Their physical traits begin to change inside the victim's head according to what they find most entrancing, may it be a man or woman's features—sometimes no defining gender is established, and it's just a visage."

I kept silent and recalled the way I stared at Gabriel a little too hard.

"The kelpie legend was said to be a shape-shifting water horse that would trap travelers on their back and drown its victims in a river."

I blanched.

"You're wondering why you haven't seen this happening with any other. Gabriel purposely decides not to physically get close with anyone, in fear that there would be less of a chance for the trance to break."

"What would happen if the trance didn't break?" I asked with a bitter taste in my mouth.

"If the trance was put into full effect, then it would trigger the kelpie's inner instinct." Connie gave a look that held no pity, only factual indifference. "The bearer would then have the irrational urge to kill the victim."

"I'm pretty sure it would be done by dragging and drowning," I croaked as a chill washed over me. "Good thing we weren't near a bathroom or something, he could have plugged the sink and dunk my head in."