Chapter 35-HeadQuarters

The three identified themselves to XCOM as Slingshot, members of a resistance haven not too far to where they were. Shoajie Zhang, the man dressed in Chinese letters, was once a member of a infamous Triad Gang until Advent took over. They've been hunting his since he stole a piece of their tech, allowing the haven to monitor their every movement. Annette Durand, one of many Psionic sensitive test subjects the aliens abducted in 2015. The resistance haven freed her and countless other from captivity nearly three years ago. Finally, their leader, Peter Van Doorn. UN Offical turned alien hunter after he and his entourage were ambushed on a bridge. XCOM soldiers at the time were dispatched but never made it.

The three agreed to talk to their resistance haven about join XCOM and helping them with finding the location mentioned within the strands of Codex data Tygan and Shen are still decoding.

Chailux was in the Proving Grounds, working on what he called 'Icarus'. "Commander," he looks up to see Nexus stand at the door with his Viper hood off, "may I speak with you?" Chailux puts down his tools and welcome his old friend. "I found something you might be interested in," he hand over a data pad and Chailux takes it, "the place is mostly intact. Firebrand won't mind taking us if you want."

"Alright," the Commander drops the data pad and follows Nexus to the hangar where they board the Skyranger. Throughout the trip, Chailux and Nexus didn't speak. They just looked over their weapons and calibrated their equipment. "How exactly did you survive," Chailux asked and Nexus looked up at him, "both the raid on HQ and the haven?"

"It's complicated," Nexus said as he sets his rifle aside to speak, "you weren't the only one the aliens abducted after the Fall. They used my DNA to produce Advent Snipers to no success. Their clones were nowhere as skilled as the real thing." Nexus calibrates his grappling hook, looking over the freezing mechanism. "So they did the most logical thing those bastards could think of. They altered me, changed my biological structure, turning me into something non-human. I am unable to experience death. I feel the pain but not the death. Bradford rescued me early on but you had been transferred elsewhere. I've been with XCOM ever since. Even got a spot in the Advent televised series."

"There was a series about us," Chailux asked with a small laugh, "any good."

"Sure," Nexus leans back, folding his arms, "if you like Advent Propaganda. You were portrayed as this godly being and everyone was your cult followers. I was killed off in season 3 only to return as an Advent supporter the next season. Too bad the series was canceled 5 years ago."

"Probably would of liked it," Chailux said with a small laugh, "always wondered what it be like to be the bad guy."

The Skyranger lands through the decayed hangar doors of the old Skyranger and Interceptor bay. Around them in the alcoves where wrecked Interceptors covered by tarps. Vines and dirt cover the interior and the doors are blown off. "Security system may still be active," Nexus warns and Chailux nods.

They pass into the control centre and turn the power on. Memories of the Commander's transfer to XCOM flood back to him and the missions they conducted. "It's been one hell of a ride," the Commander said, leaning over the railing at the old holo-globe, "what was months for me was years for you. I'm sorry I couldn't of been a better leader,"

"We will follow you to the end Commander," Nexus said, leaning up next to him, "there is nothing for you to be sorry about. You're only human after all."

"Wish I could say the same about you," Chailux jokes and Nexus gives a small laugh. They hear something from the adjacent room and ready their weapons.