Chapter 23-Spark

Spoilers to Shen's Last Gift DLC

The team move through the next level until they are pinned down by turret fire. "Stop this nonsense Lily," the voice calls out again as both Chailux and Lily hack the turrets and make them fire on each other, "we can finish what father started all those years ago. All you have to do is trust me."

"I remember you now," Lily said as a screen flickers next to her with code on it, "dad was trying to make an AI for the Avenger. Something more like us. He named it Julian."

"How very observant Lily," Julian said after a small laugh, "but your Commander had it figured out a while ago." Lily looks back to Chailux in disbelief as he looks away in shame, "guess he didn't tell you. Of course, there's a lot your precious Commander hasn't told you."

The screen flickers back to static and Lily storms ahead. Chailux tells Rose and Bradford to watch their backs as he tries to catch up with Lily. "Lily," he calls out and she stops, "listen. I didn't tell you because I wasn't sure. When I was under Advent's control, they put me through thousands of scenarios. One of them was with a program your father created called Julian. Please understand my scepticism."

"He said you were keeping other secrets," Lily said and Chailux doesn't respond, "how do you expect me, hell, even the people that look to you for guidance if you can't even trust them?"

"Lily," Chailux places a hand on her shoulder and he sees the faint aura of Asaru floating nearby, "we all have our secrets. You just have to trust your own judgement."

Lily takes a deep breath and pulls his in for a hug. "Thanks Chailux," she said, surprising him a little by this, "dad said you had a way with words." Chailux returns the hug then the two part as the other catch up.

They reach a room in the centre of the floor and secure it. Lily approaches an odd looking MEC with a head resembling that of one of their Gremlins. "This is it," Julian said, appearing again on a screen nearby, "the Spark prototype. Father never did finish it. He passed on before merging this marvellous body with an equally marvellous mind. But now," a panel lights up with a biometric scanner, "you can finish his work."

Lily looks to the screen then to the MEC. Her hand inches away from the screen. "You're not serious," Rose asked and she looks to her, "the thing tried to kill us earlier."

"She's right Lily," Bradford points out, "how do we know it's not lying?"

Lily looks over to the Commander who only cracks a smile. She looks back to the MEC and sighs. "It's definitely one of dad's designs," she glides a hand over it's chest and it opens. The head comes to life and looks at her.

"Shen, Lily," it said in a robotic voice and Lily was surprised by this, "awaiting imprint."

"This is impossible," Julian exclaims as the screens flicker with his rage, "this is not what father would of wanted!"

"I think this is exactly what he wanted," Lily said proudly and initiates the biometric scan on the MEC. Julian flickers off the screens as they change to the XCOM insignia's. The MEC comes to life and stands on it's own with a drone hovering nearby.

"Lily," the screen above was static but clears up slightly for her to see her father, Raymond Shen, "if you are seeing this message, it means that you have successfully activated the SPARK prototype. It also means that in all likelihood I am no longer with you." The Commander leaves his post at the door and watches with her. "It was always amongst my greatest fears that I would leave you alone in this world."

"You didn't," Lily mutters and Chailux looks to her.

"I had hoped this day would never come," Raymond continues, "but since the loss of the Commander, the XCOM project has suffered. Our latest reports indicate we cannot hold this base much longer. To that end, I have accelerated the development of the SPARK robotic prototype. I believe that someday this machine will prove pivotal to humanity's survival. Though the unit is not ready for manufacturing, this prototype has been coded for one specific task." The Spark shifts around, loading a large gun in hand. "It will protect you, perhaps better than I ever could. For all I have seen and accomplished in this life Lily, there is one thing I know for sure, you are my greatest gift to this world." The screen flickers off.

I remember first completing this and watching the cinematic. Brought tears to my eyes.