Chapter 22 (Kyle)

It was the next morning. Hayden and Luke were fast asleep. I went to Maddie's room to knock to find it already slightly open. I opened the room to find it empty. I ran downstairs and checked every room and she wasn't there. I ran out shouting Maddie and there was no response. "Is everything alright Kyle?" Dad asked walking past me into the kitchen. "I can't find Maddie anywhere. She's not in her room, or down here." "What?" Mom quickly left what she was cooking and grabbed her phone.

"Kyle you and your brothers look for her at the mall or in your friends houses. Your dad and I will let the police know." I nodded. I ran upstairs straight to Dylan's room as well as Stephens's. I told them what was up before we all went to change. I checked Maddie's room again and found a piece of paper on the table.

"Dear Vanessa, Zack and kids, thank you for being such a welcoming family. I'm so sorry I can't help look for the boys. And I'm sorry for loosing them in the first place. I left because I no longer want to be a burden to you. I'll find my way. Wherever it is. I'll find it. Thank so much for taking me in. I'll miss you all. - Maddie." I can't believe she thought that. I should've stopped her. I could've convinced her last night...

I ran back down to show mom and dad the letter. Mom was in tears after. I knew she felt guilty for getting mad at her. "It was my fault mom. I didn't tell her that we found the boys. She was fast asleep so I didn't want to wake her. I could've stopped this from happening. I'm sorry." I hugged my mom to stop her tears. "I'll find her and bring her back. I promise."

"Let's go look for her." Dylan said tossing us our keys. "I'll check the mall. Kyle contact all your friends and ask if they've heard from her at all. Dylan drive by the parks and shops outside. Let's meet back home by lunch." Stephen planned. He got into his car and we all did the same. We went our separate ways in hopes of finding Maddie.

I dialed Robby. "Rob can you and Lia meet me in the coffee shop now? Maddie is missing and I need help looking for her." Without any questions Rob agreed and they were in the coffee shop when I got there. "Here. It's your usual." Lia handed me a cup. "Thanks." "Where do we look first?" Rob asked. "Every classmates house she talked to." We split up and took the two main areas our friends lived at.

My head was spinning where could she have gone. It was my job to take care of her and I failed. I messed up just when things were right again. I stopped at the first house. I rang the doorbell, when the door opened I asked for Maddie and she wasn't there.

I moved onto the next house. Same result. I finished a whole village and she wasn't there. No one has seen her since school. Some didn't even know who I was talking about. I began checking every single house even houses of people I don't know. I didn't have a reason to but I got desperate I wanted to find her.

It was almost lunch time but I wasn't ready to go home. Rob and Lia has the same result as me. I sent them to have lunch already though. I drove to the hospital in case she went to see the doctor. Or visit a nurse. She liked her nurses here. They were kind to her and sweet. They took care of her. Everything I wasn't able to do.

I ran up to the front desk. "Did a Maddie Alvarez log in here today? Or last night?" The lady checked her log in book. "I'm sorry sir but there's no Maddie Alvarez in this log in book. "Thanks anyways." I told her before rushing out. I had no other choice but to head back home. I parked my car right behind Stephens and Dylan's cars.

"Did you find her?" Luke asked. "I'm sorry bud. I didn't..." I sat in the dinning table with everyone else. No one has touched their food. "Alright. We will eat now." Dad said. We all slowly began eating. Everyone was silent. "Has anyone heard from Tyler?" Mom asked. "Oh crap!" "Language!" Mom shouted. "I forgot to message him! I didn't tell him the boys where home. Or the fact that Maddie is missing." Dylan was furiously texting on his phone.

We all went back to eating. Unlike our usual meals together there was no conversation. The two little boys were fighting. Everything was dull. Maddie has really added something else to the family. She like the sun, bright and happy. Despite everything she's going through. I guess that's why she ran away. She felt like she let us down... I should have told her. I should have told her...

Mom and dad were on the phone with the police. I was pacing in the living room and the guys were staring at me. "Dylan has Tyler replied?" Stephen asked. Dylan shook his head. Luke was slowly falling asleep on Hayden. "Kyle can you sit down. You're making me dizzy watching you pace back and forth." Dylan suggested. "Sorry..." I murmured flopping onto the sofa.

"Is there a reply now?" I asked an hour later. Luke and Hayden were both napping. Stephen went out to ask around again. Mom and Dad were at the police office helping with the search. Dylan and I stayed home in case Maddie came back and to take care of the younger ones. Dylan shook his head no.

I was so tired. My eyes were slowly shutting. When out of nowhere Dylan's phone beeps. "It's Tyler! He said he'll be on the way home soon. He has Maddie with him. He said he'll explain when he gets here." She's safe! Maddie is coming back. "I-I, thank god it was Tyler who found her." I said. "I'll let mom know. You can relax now bro." I texted Stephen to go home already.

Dinner time rolled around and everything was back to normal. We were still waiting for Tyler and Maddie. It was probably traffic. But finally everyone was relaxed again. "So Hayden, Lucas, you never really had a chance to explain what happened yesterday? How did you end up in the neighbors house?" Dylan asked

"I'm sorry about that again. I should've listened to Maddie." Hayden started. "I'm sorry too I should have just stayed with her instead of running after Hayden." Lucas followed. "It's ok boys. What matter now is that you're safe. And so is Maddie." Dad said. "Basically when we I went to see the dance crew up front. In the process I bumped into my classmate." Hayden explained.

"After the concert we tried looking for Maddie." Lucas said softly. "When we couldn't find her my classmate asked if we wanted to be fetched at their house. I thought it would be better. I knew Maddie would call Kyle to find her way home. And that's when my phone died." Hayden finished. "It was a good thing they found you. And. Not another person with schemes of taking children." My mom said.

After dinner everyone was pretty tired from the days events. Stephen, Dylan and I stayed in the TV room while waiting for Tyler and Maddie to get home. "What's taking them so long?" I said to myself. "I'm sure they'll arrive soon. They probably stopped for dinner." Stephen assured me. It was getting pretty late when the phone rang...

My brother and Maddie had gotten into an accident. My heart was pounding and everything was at a standstill. It's like our luck has just ran out again and all that was left were problems. An endless pit of problems and accidents.