Chapter 20 - In the mind of our sweet Zoey

Zoey’s (P.O.V)

My heart broke.

I really think I did.

I watch as Tammie slowly starts to fall apart. If I knew it was going to be like this I would have never made her come. Tammie was the strongest person I ever knew. I only have seen her cry once before, it was the day Lily and Jacob came to her house. Behind them was the police, one a younger man, probably knew. The other was an old grouch, her hair was grey and pinned back into a neat bun. As soon as Uncle Dan saw them he tried everything to get them to leave. But it was too late.

Lily took away the twins that day.

The younger man held back Tammie as she clawed at his arm, trying desperately to get to her siblings. It was horrible, Tori was crying as Lily took hold of her. Her eyes were drawing red circles and tears leaked out on her new mothers expensive sweater. Jeremy being the calm on only silently cried as Jacob lightly pushed him out the door. I was too shocked to do anything but watch. It was like it was in slow motion; one day we were playing a game of Trouble, then a high pitched scream hit us from where the Aunt Phoebe was before. That day keeps re rolling itself in my head until I hear Tammie continue. I have no idea why she is telling this stranger her life story. She can be so damn stubborn.  

“….Just as my big scene was rolling, I felt two hands take capture of my waist and push me to the pavement,”

Her tears were really coming now, big fat river ones. Immediately I went to her side feeling Gary’s leather jacket under my hands.

I fought the urge to show my sour face.

It’s not that I hate leather, I mean who doesn’t!?

It is so soft and not to mention makes anyone wear it look hot! And on me-

Stop Zoey, your loosing track of what you’re saying.

 Anyway it’s just I hate that Gary guy. I’m glad he makes Tammie happy; I mean I haven’t seen her so bright and smiley since the day the twins were born. And now the smile stays for days.

I’m just worried about how upset she will be when their relationship ends. It’s not that I’m against dating, but once a cheater, always a cheater.

And when that say comes I. will. Hurt him!

“IT’S TRUE!”

Her ear shattering yelling drags me out of my thoughts and back to reality.

Softly I take her small arm in mine and start to pull her out of the room. But she didn’t stop, her head is wildly shaking, brown fuzz is waving crazily through the room.  

“shhhh, baby girl, it’s all goanna be fine.”

I reassure her with simple words of comfort. Grandpa used to whisper these words to her whenever she scrapped a knee, didn’t get what she wanted or was scared.  Grandpa was the only one to calm her down. It hit Tammie the most when he passed, we were all sad, I cried straight for days. But, Tammie she didn’t shred a single tear, nor did she speak. It was upsetting to see her like that. At one point I don’t think she even blinked. She was a zombie until one day, a month later; she just hit a wall and fell apart.

 “Shhhh, baby girl, it’s all goanna be fine.”

I continue to repeat the familiar sentence in my cousin’s ear.

“Tammie lets go, ok Tam’s?”

While she is distracted in a starring completion with this boy Kyle to notice that I am gently pulling her to the door.