Ch.8: The Twilight Zone

A/N: I'm currently at Disneyland and had an idea for this chapter while there so hope you enjoy!

~o0o~

Recap:

I opened my mouth to say something when I realized we were standing in front of the Orphanage. I took a deep breath, seeing my old home again for the first time in 5 years. I walked shakily up the familiar steps leading up to the towering entrance, moist with recent rain. Many things had happened here that I was happy to forget.

~o0o~

I gently pulled open the large doors, a gust of warm air from inside rushing over me as I did. I winced as the old wooden door let out a droning squeal as I continued to open it, but the children sleeping inside did not stir.

I let the Doctor in, carrying my younger self in his arms, and followed him in, my boots leaving a trail of muddy footprints on the clean white tiles, identical to the ones from my memory of waking up in this orphanage when I was 11.

"Over there," I croaked, my voice raspy as I took in everything we had just did. I gestured to a small corner underneath a window, "That's where I woke up.".

Doctor delicately laid me down on the floor, careful not to arouse me from my unconsciousness.

"I feel bad just leaving you there, lying on the floor," Doctor sighed, rubbing the back of his neck with his hand.

"It's where I woke up," I shrugged.

For a while we were silent, staring at little me absently, the only noises being the soft snores of the children sleeping in the line of clean white cots behind us.

"It's brilliant, isn't it?" Doctor asked me.

"What?".

"Time travel," Doctor replied pensively.

I nodded, somehow managing to form a small smile on my lips, "Yeah, yeah it is.".

"We should probably go soon. You'll be regaining consciousness in a little while," Doctor said, starting towards the door. I followed.

We stepped out into the cool evening air, the drizzling rain showering over us. I heard sirens echoing through the air, and the orange glow of my burning home reflected on the puddles in the streets.

I allowed a small tear to run down my face at the sight of it, and for a moment I felt the same sadness I had before I began to travel with the Doctor. I thought about the roof, and about being with my family again, but then I saw the TARDIS, illuminated with yellow light in the distance, and I was reminded that I was in the best place I could be right now. I was traveling through time and space, soaring through the stars, with the magical Doctor. As if I were in a dream. And it would never end, I never will allow myself to believe it would end.

"So," Doctor stared at me with a too familiar grin, "Where to next?".

I grinned back at him, "To the stars.".

~o0o~

A month later...

"Happy birthday!" I heard the Doctor shout, annoyingly cutting through my peaceful sleep.

I pried open my eyes, dry with sleep, and sat up groggily. Leftover makeup was smeared under my eyes and my hair stuck up in all directions.

Doctor placed a strange looking hat on my head and plopped a tiny coffee shop cake on my lap.

"What is this?" I mumbled sleepily, taking the red hat from my head.

"It's a fez!" Doctor said excitedly, putting his own on.