Ch.5: Dream On

Recap: "See I got us out of here easy! A little bit too easy..." He said, trailing off at the end.

Suddenly something black came springing out of the shadows, tackling the Doctor to the ground.

"Doctor!" I shouted, sprinting towards him.

I screamed as I went flying to the ground.

~oOo~

I struggled to see the creature on top of me, but my vision was blurring. All I saw was a vague black creature, like the fake soldiers we had seen earlier. I felt slight pain in my arms, realizing the creature had slashed me again.

"Doctor!" I screamed.

"Alice! Whatever you do, don't...fall asleep! They...have...venom...in their...claws to make you...pass out!" I heard the Doctor slur, "Just... keep...fighting them!".

I struggled against the Xylima's strong grip, but my body was growing weaker. Every muscle was relaxing for sleep. My eyelids felt heavy, as if someone was pulling them shut. I felt just as dazed as I did the first time I got attacked.

"Doctor!" I yelped, sounding weak and groggy. There was no answer. I craned my neck over to where the Doctor was lying limply on the ground, unconcious. The creature attacking him had gone.

I rolled my eyes and sighed, "Oh, great. Now I'm left to figure out how to get us out of this.".

My hearing was shorting out, as if it were a broken record on a turntable. The effects of the scratch only continued to worsen, but I slowly managed to reach out my hand, getting an idea. In the Doctor's limp, outstretched hand, lay his sonic screwdriver. I had seen him use it before; it could be used for almost anything.

I strained every bone in my fingertips, reaching as far as I could towards it. I could hear the little time I had to get out of here ticking away in my ears. It looked as if there were a thousand screwdrivers, all whirling in circles. I feebly grabbed the one I assumed was real, when I felt the Doctor roll over onto my hand, crushing it.

I opened my mouth in a silent scream of agony, eyes crossing momentarily, before yanking my hand out, sonic screwdriver clasped tightly inside, drawing my hand back to my body. I gathered all the strength I had left to point the sonic to the ceiling above, hearing it satisfyingly start to crack.

The creature looked up, distracted by the cracking sounds. I took this chance to wriggle out from underneath its grip, just in time as a part of the ceiling gave way, crushing the creature under its weight. It exploded into black dust.

"Now what?" I slurred, stumbling over my own feet. I hadn't thought about how I'd get both me and the unconcious Doctor out of here.

I reluctantly grabbed the Doctor's hands and dragged him across the ground, groaning. He was covered in blackened scratch marks, and I assumed I was, too.

"Just...a little...longer..." I breathed, groggy with sleep. "You're most likely the smartest man in the universe, saving universes on a daily basis, but you're also the heaviest!" I sighed exasperatedly, as if I expected him to answer.

After what seemed like hours, I finally dragged my way into the light. My ears rung and my head spun as I collapsed to the ground, feeling sleep catch up to me. My eyes fluttered closed.

~oOo~

"Alice!" I heard my mom shout from the hallway.

"Not now, mom!" I shouted back, breathing in my book.

"Alice!!!" My mom said louder.

"Not now-" I began to shout, but trailed off as I saw my mom walk into my room, tears rolling down her cheeks.