Chapter 2

Walking back into the house, I forced myself to, “Lady-up” and forced all the emotions to the back of my mind. Now wasn’t the time to mourn my parents. Now was the time to make sure that I didn’t have more to mourn. I could deal the sadness and grief later. Right now, I had to figure out how to save Avi and I, and figure out what the hell to do now.

                “Alright. What is the first thing I need to do? I need to make sure Avi and I are safe” I muttered under my breath. Before entering the kitchen where my sister perched in her high chair, I clasped my mother’s necklace around my neck. Swallowing back tears, I plastered a smile to my face. No reason to upset Avira, though I suspect she was already wary. She was surprisingly perceptive about things like this.

                I entered the kitchen, and saw my sister sitting calmly in her high chair, fingers in her mouth, and eyes wide open, as if she was trying to figure out what was going on. I smiled. She was really pretty adorable.  

“C’mon Vira, let’s go get dressed. I think today is going to be a big day…” I said, as I heaved her out of her seat, and onto my hip, then up the stairs.

                A few minutes later, we were both in my room, Avi crawling around, and me getting dressed. She had been surprisingly cooperative when I was getting her dressed, and wasn’t trying to strip like she usually did when anybody but my mom tried to dress her. I was just pulling my shirt on, when I heard glass shatter downstairs. Oh crap. Oh crap. Oh crap. What do I do?! I started to hyperventilate, and my eyes filled with tears.

                “Okay…okay…don’t panic…deep breaths…” I chanted to myself. I blinked back the tears and moved into action. I shut and locked my bedroom door, grabbed a bat that I had propped up on my wall, and picked up Avi. We all then crowded into my closet. I emptied my laundry basket, then gently put avi in it, before carefully covering her with clothes and putting the top on it. I tried my best to conceal myself behind my longer hanging dresses, but they didn’t do very much. I gripped the bat tighter in my hands, and tried to steady my heartbeat so that it no longer thudded so loudly in my ears. I was greatly relieved that Avira had picked up on the urgency of the situation, and wasn’t crying or fidgeting around.                

                I then started to listen as hard as I could, trying to figure out where they were in the house. My breathing hitched as I heard two voices. From what I could tell, I’d guess they were at the bottom of the stairs. I then heard them start stomping up the stairs.

“Hello? Is anybody home!? Is there anybody here? We’re not going to hurt you!” Yeah. Right. Ahuh. That’s what they all say. Maybe next time you’re looking for somebody, you should try knocking on the door before, y’know, breaking a window. I rolled my eyes at their stupidity, even though they couldn’t see me. From the voice, though, I guessed that at least one of them was male, though I guessed that the other was male too from their heavy footfalls. I heard them start opening doors. I figured they were looking for supplies, or for anybody here. My door was the 3rd door down. I heard my door creak open.

“Hey, I think I heard the footsteps in here when we were downstairs,” My eyes widened at these words, and my heart beat immediately picked up. I heard them walking around my room, checking under my bed and in my bathroom. I felt my stomach drop as I saw a shadow come into view under the door. Oh no. This is it. Please don’t let me die. I’m too young to die.

Oh God.