Chapter 18 - The Man

Thump thump.
Thump thump.
Thump thump.

I opened my eyes, darkness surrounded me. It took a couple of seconds for my eyes to adjust to the pitch black scenery in front of me.

I blinked and blinked again in confusion. Before me stood tall forest trees and a dark sky filled with twinkling stars, which glittered the sky above my head.

"Finally you're awake," a dark, luring voice erupted into the quietness of the forest.

The shadow of a person stood from afar, looking my way. He had one hand stuffed in his pocket, the other holding a cigarette between his fingers. The darkness covered his image but I presumed he wasn't here with good intentions even if I couldn't see his face.

"Who are you," I voiced out, trying to get as much information as to what is going on to use so I could get back to the pack. To Archer.

"Your worst nightmare," he said as he deepened his voice, taking a step towards me.

I quivered in my spot on the floor. I tried to sit up but my body didn't seem to get the memo. 

The man laughed, causing the sound to echo throughout the forest. A few animals scurried away from us, going out to find another spot to spend the night, I thought.

"I'm joking," he chuckled, his voice going back to how it was at first. "But-"

Why is there always a but?

"I am the last face you'll ever see. At least for a while." He shrugged his shoulders as if this whole thing was a casual thing.

"What are you talking about? I don't even know you? Just leave me alone. I've been out for far too long. My boyfriend must be looking for me," I burst out, showing no fear from the outside, but shaking from fear on the inside. I blushed a bit when calling Archer my boyfriend. I don't know what we are, I just know we are more than friends. We haven't discussed this part of our relationship, so nothing is official, yet.

The man walked up to me, picking me up in his arms.

"Let me go," I screamed. My limps weren't moving even as I begged them to knock the man unconscious but nothing came. My voice was the only part of my whole body that seemed to cooperate but it didn't help as much as my hands or legs could have. I couldn't scratch his face off so he could let me go or kick him where the sun doesn't shine and cause permanent damage that he wouldn't be able to recover until years later. 

My voice shook with fear, unable to cover it up no longer as we came up to a river that cascaded along the forest sides. My eyes tried to follow where the stream was flowing, to see the water rushing down a waterfall. I could hear the water hitting rocks on its way down the fall. I couldn't see how far down the waterfall went since he stood next to the river but either way I didn't want to know.

"What are you doing," I squeaked out, tears filling the edges of my eyes, threatening to spill soon, unwilling to let me see clearly.

"It's for the best. At least it is for me," he smiled. "Just think of it like I'm saving your life because technically I am, Ms. Mermaid." A sly smirk was on his face, making his face look like one of those evil monsters you imaged up from your childhood.

My heart was beating wildly, threatening to jump out from fear, from the unknown. 

"What are you talking ab-" He threw me into the rushing water.

 I saw the man walk away as I flung my arms around. I didn't know how to swim.

I felt the river's water pushing against my body, twirling me around underwater. A rock stopped my body from being pushed any further down the river towards the waterfall. My body hit the rock with a bone breaking slam, water hitting my whole-being feeling like a thousand tiny broken pieces of glass were poking my skin.

My head bounced against the rock on first impact. A throbbing pain seared throughout my head. The current became ten times stronger, pulling me away from the rock that was holding me steady. I tried my best to keep my spot against the rock, with my limbs finally working once I hit the water, gripping the rock for dear life. The rock turned slippery against my grip, throwing me back into the rushing water.

Not soon after, I saw the waterfall coming closer and closer from underwater.

I couldn't do much from the position I was in other than to hope that I didn't die from the drop and to keep holding my breath for as long as possible until I could once again breath air.

I didn't ponder how I've came this long without air filling my lungs or why the man called me Ms. Mermaid. I kept my focus on surviving. I thought about Archer, my uncle, and all the new people I've met. I kept my mind on them, I have to survive this for them. This isn't the end of my story. I will live my life how I want, with the people I want. No random guy with a creepy face is going to end that for me or decide when I should give everything up.

For a brief moment, I saw the overview of the forest. The high mountains, some covered with a little bit of snow, others having snow storms hovering above them. I saw the river continue below me and going on for miles ahead. I was able to see the tops of the highest trees as they covered most of the ground. Then, the floor below me became nonexistent, replaced by water as it rushed twenty feet down.

Did I ever mention I was afraid of heights. Well, you could say I passed out for a few seconds because I couldn't remember the trip down. But I do remember being met with deep blue eyes staring right back into my brown ones.

__________________________

I know, I know. Long time, no see.  At least I am here now :) Did expect that? I was kinda stuck on how to write this chapter. Ok, maybe a lot stuck that it took me months just to write. It wasn't until someone commented to update that I realized how long I've been gone from this book, so thank you to that reader. You helped me pull through this chapter :D 

Anyways,

Comment/ Vote/ Hopefully I don't take so long to update another chapter again ;)

-blue842

:P

O_o

July 7, 2017