Chapter 2 - Arrival

As I walked through the doors of the little shop, a bell rung above my head, notifying the whole store of a new arrival. The cashier turned his head towards me in a rapid motion. I flinched away, taking a step back. Not in fear but worried that he might have broken a bone or stretched a muscle, something of that sort. I'm serious! It was like someone was behind him and twisted his head for him. It looked unnatural the way he moved.

With my shoulders scrunched up to my neck, I walked over to the ice cream aisle located at the back. I passed the weird cashier and walked down the souvenirs aisle until I was standing in front of the freezers filled with different flavored ice creams, ice bags, and frozen foods.

I looked over my shoulder to see a group of guys huddled together in a circle, and may I add, they were very good looking. I hastily moved my head to look ahead instead of at the guys that appeared to have turned to look my way once I looked over at them.

I tried to move as fast as I possibly could so I could get out of this store filled with strange people but my mind didn't have the same thing in mind. I struggled between choosing two flavors. It was a battle between Cookie Dough and Sherbet. In the end I picked Sherbet. I turned on my heels and walked back through the direction I came from, heading towards the cashier to pay for my item.

As I walked away, I couldn't resist but to look over at the group again. My breath caught in my throat. One of the guys was looking at me while the other two talked around him. He was very tall and had light brown hair. As I looked up at his eyes, I felt mesmerized. For a moment I forgot how to breathe as I stared into his forest green eyes.

I pulled away from his stare and hurriedly walked away even though I didn't want to. It was strange. I don't know what was wrong with me.

I headed towards the counter and since there was no line, I didn't have to wait.

"Hello," the cashier said in greeting.

"Hi," I responded as I tried to catch my breath. Seriously, what is wrong with me? I wasn't even running.

"Is this all you're getting?"

"Yes."

"Ok, do you want a bag with that?" I shook my head. "Alright! Have a nice day ma'am," he said in a cheery tone with a huge fake smile pasted on his pale face.

"Um, you didn't tell me how much I have to pay yet." This dude is stranger than how I am feeling in the moment. Who forgets to charge the customer?

"No need. It's on the house."

"But-,"

"You don't have to pay for anything in this store," he said in a rush tone, cutting me off.

I looked at him with squinted eyes, trying to figure him out. He looked nervous that was for sure.

He pleaded with his eyes to just take the ice cream and don't question it any further so I did.

"Thank you? I guess." I slid the carton off the counter and power walked out of the tiny shop and into the car where Derek was already waiting with the car on and running.

"Did you get what you wanted," Derek asked as he looked over at me from his seat.

"Yeah," I answered, a bit out of breath after jogging my way to the car.

"What? Did the cashier freak you out enough for you to run out of there or something," Derek joked around as he began to pull away from the gas station and back on the road again.

"Or something," I said in response to Derek's question but not loud enough for him to hear.

I turned slightly in my seat to look at the shop as it grew smaller and smaller. I was about to turn back around in my seat and begin eating my ice cream before it began to melt when I saw his tall figure leaning against the wall outside of the shop looking like he was staring straight at me from the distance. I rapidly turned in my seat and started to eat my ice cream, no spoon needed.

In the moment, I didn't realize that I lied to Derek. I did not get what I wanted. Instead, I got everything I needed. I just didn't know it at the moment.

__________

Enjoyed the chapter?

Well, then...

Comment/ Vote/ Continue reading

-blue842

:P O_o

Tell me what you think.