Chapter 4 - Puppy

"You sure about this, Fable?" Derek asked from behind me.

We were in a dog pound, and I am about to adopt my first pet.

"Yes, dad. How many times do I have to tell you I can handle this." I turned to look at Derek with my hands on my hips.

"But-" 

I cut him off. "But nothing. I'm going to adopt him, feed him, and take care of him. You don't even have to worry about any of this. I got it," I finished then turned back looking through the cages trying to find a dog that I could connect with.

I heard a tiny, angry barking at the end of the hall. As I followed the noise, I was met with a very tiny, angry puppy.

He was so cute and adorable. I knew he was the one.

Once he noticed my presence, he stopped barking and just stared at me with big forest green eyes.

It seems like I've been seeing those eyes all around lately.

"He's the one," I said to Derek as he finally caught up with me.

"You sure," he asked, uncertain about the whole situation.

In response, I gave him a pointed look. He rose his hands, palms out, in a surrender motion.

"Alright. I'll be waiting in the front." He turned away and back the way we came from.

"Can you call the lady for me," I called out. He waved his hand in a shooing motion. "Thank you."

I focused my attention on the little pup.

"Hey, puppy," I talked to it. He wagged his tail in happiness and stuck his tongue out. He looked so adorable.

"Are you ready to adopt? Did you choose one our dogs to take home," the lady I told Derek to call for me came up from behind me.

"Yeah. I want this one." I stood up so I could talk with her properly.

"You sure." Why is everyone asking me that question today?

"Why not?" I gave her a confused expression.

"We found this puppy wandering around the side of the forest with a limp on his leg. When we tried to help him, he wouldn't stop barking and clawing at us. He hasn't stopped barking since this morning we picked him up."

I looked at the silent puppy. "Well, he isn't barking right now." I pointed out to the woman.

We both turned to look him. "I guess so," the lady said.

"I still want him," I stated.

"Alright," the lady sighed in defeat. "You'll have to fill out some paperwork before we let you leave with the pup."

A growl erupted. The lady and I looked at the puppy, who once again looked angry, standing beside us behind the cage.

I looked back up at the lady and nodded my head in excitement, "Ok."

She picked out a key from her keychain and opened the door. As the door was being opened, the puppy squeezed out from the small opening and ran out crashing into me. I bent down to pick him up.

"Hey there wild pup," I said, as I scratched his ear. He licked my face, making me feel tingly.

I laughed as I cuddled him.

After signing all the adoption papers and going to the pet store to buy all the required things my puppy needed, we went back home.

"So what are you going to call him," Derek asked as he carried the things we bought into the garage."

"Hmm, I don't know," I responded.

"What about that name you called him in the pound," Derek suggested.

"What name?" I tested my head in confusion as I crouched down to let my dog go.

"Wild."

"As I looked down at my dog, he was wagging his tail with his tongue out, and standing on his hind legs.

"Wild," I tested the name out which got a bark out of him in response. "I guess Wild it is." I looked up at Derek with a smile on my face.

"Welcome to the family Wild," Derek sighed, as he crouched down to get closer to Wild. Then he whispered, "Don't break her heart you hear me?"

I laughed, "Dad, he's a puppy, not a boy. Well, a human boy at least."

As I said this, Wild gave a little nod with his tiny head as if he understood what Derek just asked him.

"Did you see that?" I looked at Derek with wide eyes.

"I believe I did," he said, with a frightened expression on his face. "We're probably just tired," he tried to reason out. "We should go to bed before we see unicorns dancing in the kitchen with leprechauns."

We both turned, looking through the doorway of the garage and into the kitchen just to make sure.

"Yeah, I think we need to go to bed."

We both hurried off to our separate rooms. Derek in his, and Wild and I in mine.

"Here we are Wild. Our bedroom for the time being until I move out. Then we'll get our own place. You like that." He barked happily.

"Yeah, I thought so. There will be more space for you to run around in and I won't get in trouble for eating ice cream early in the morning. If you need to pee, make sure you do it in the bathroom and not on the carpet. I beg of you Wild because I'm not planning on replacing the carpet anytime soon."

I went into the bathroom and placed newspapers on the floor after I finished with using the bathroom myself and brushing my teeth. Then I went back to my room to change.

Wild was chilling on my bed just watching me moving around trying to get ready for bed.

I pulled out a tank top and a pair of short shorts to sleep in.

I locked the door before changing. I didn't want Derek accidentally walking in on me changing.

I pulled my jeans and t-shirt off as I changed into my other pjs I picked out.

I turned around to see Wild in the same position but with his paws over his eyes.

"Aw, Wild," I cooed. "Aren't you just adorable. Trying to give me privacy, huh," I asked him as I stroked his back. "You're too good for your own good aren't you." He waged his tail.

I slipped into the covers, grabbing Wild to sleep with me, and turned the lights off.

Before I dozed off to sleep, I looked at Wild.

"Night, Wild."

He barked in response.

_____________

Hello there! Hope you enjoyed this weeks chapter.

Until next week my peeps!

Comment/ Vote/ Look at that cute pic above^^^

See you on the other side!

-blue842

:P

O_o