Chapter 13 - THE PHONE CALL

Start from the beginning

''Mum it's me'' he said, feeling sick as he said it

''Jake? Where are you darling?'' she replied. He could hear the emotion in her voice ''Where have you been all this time?''

He was struggling hard not to get emotional too. ''I had to go away mum'' he explained

''Go away where?''

Jake glanced at Sir, Sir was watching him intently, keen to make sure he wouldn't say anything wrong. He was ready to snatch the phone right out of Jake's hand if he did. ''I found religion and joined a monastery'' Jake said, surprised at his own story. But what else was he supposed to come up with?

''Joined a monastery? But that's ridiculous, you never believed in god''

''But a person can change their views, mum. I found god and I have never been happier than I am now''

''What brought that on then?''

''I dunno mum, it just happened''

For the first time during the phone call, his mother started to sound angry ''Do you realize how worried we've been about you?'' she asked crossly

''Yes mum and I am sorry, that's why I am calling now''

''Why couldn't you have called sooner? It's been months. Your father and I have been going through all sorts. Thinking all sorts, thinking you might be dead. Your phone was found in some bushes in the park, when that happened we really panicked'

''I'm so sorry mum''

''Are you coming home now?''

''No, I have made a commitment to stay here with the other monks for the rest of my life''

''The police are looking for you you know that. When they find out you've done this you are going to be in a lot of trouble. You have broken the rules of your suspended sentence and you still have a fine to pay and unpaid work to do''

''I won't be coming back to do it so the police will have to try and find me first won't they''

''Well can your father and I come and visit you at least, we would love to see you, darling''

''Sorry mum I have to cut contact for good, it's one of the rules here. Anyway I am not even in the UK anymore, I am far away in another country''

He could hear his mother becoming increasingly distressed about all this ''But we have to see you, sweetheart, you're our son and we love you so much''

''I love you too'' Jake replied, his voice breaking ''But I have made a choice now and I have to obey the rules of the monastery, Disobedient's can lead to being expelled from the order and I don't want that, this is the life I want now ''

''Well what kind of people are they then if they have such a cruel rule?'' his mother said angrily ''I'm still having a hard time believing that you found god. Are you sure there is something you're not telling me here, none of this is adding up to me''

''Mum I have to go'' Jake said tearfully, ''I'd love to say goodbye to Dad if I could before I go''

''Your father is not here, he is out for the evening with some of his colleagues from work. What on earth he is going to make of all this when I tell him I can't even start to imagine''

''Mum I have to go.....'' Jake could see Sir was impatient now, his time was up

''You can't go, not yet. I can't understand all this. You're my son, I miss you I need to see you...''

''Bye mum''

Jake could hear his mother starting to say something, but he cut the call off and handed the phone to Sir. Sir immediately took the back off and took the battery out.

''In a short while I will get rid of this for good'' he said ''I trust you feel better now that you have been able to talk to her?''

''No'' replied Jake ''I'm grateful I was able to let her know I am alive and that she thinks I went away by my own choice, but that was still the hardest thing I have ever had to do. She was really upset, really fucking upset''

''And of course, I do feel for her, as a parent I do understand her pain'' Said Sir, appearing genuine ''it's a shame she has to suffer too but that's the way it has to be.''

''Yes Sir''

''Well done, by the way, you made up some clever lies then. The monastery idea was very good and the bit about being abroad was a nice touch too. I was surprised you had the brains to come up with such a good story

''I was surprised at myself too if I'm honest Sir''

''You're not as stupid as you may appear. You could have made something of your life, it's just a shame that you won't be getting the chance to do so now and that you threw your life away by making such a stupid choice, a choice to drink-drive, a choice that cost my son his life. But you're not the only idiot to throw their life away by making stupid choices and went to prison for life because of it. Plenty of others did too, mostly stupid young males like you. I don't know what it is about the young male that makes them so careless and stupid, it's like they have their hands on the self-sabotage button at all times ''

''Yes Sir''

Now its time to put you to bed for the night''

''Yes Sir''

Sir called Danny back into the room and Jake was taken back to the basement for the night.

He tried hard to sleep but sleep never came that night. He found himself crying on and off all night. He felt broken and totally alone. He had just spoken to his mother for what was very likely to be the last time ever. He may never hear her voice again and it was tearing him apart inside.

He wasn't going to give up on the hope of escape though. He wanted to see his parents again one day that miserable phone call couldn't be the last time he ever spoke to his mother, no way! It made him even more determined to plan an escape.