The Apprentice Chef

In 500 words, tell the story of a chef who strives to create the perfect dish. Written for the Weekend Write-In prompt themed "Chef". 9 - 11 October 2015

David sets out to create the perfect dish for the competition...

The Perfect Dish

David rushed into the room. "I need to create the perfect dish," he said to the young woman in the back corner without announcing himself. "The man at the front counter said you could help me."

"Slow down, handsome, let me finish this, I won't be a minute." She turned back to the table and the project.

As he waited, he ran his eyes around the room, pausing to look at the many unfamiliar things, but mostly at her.

She interrupted his survey with: "Hi, I'm Catherine. So what can I help you with?"

"David's my name, but most people call me... David" He blushed, then continued: "I guess that makes sense. Anyway, I have only three days until the competition, can you help me?"

"Slow down again, young buck. I need to know what you want before I can tell you if I can help."

"It's a black box competition. The association is holding it this weekend at the convention..."

"And what is that — a black box competition? Which association? What convention? You need to fill me in here," she said as she wiped her hands on a cloth.

"The British Columbia Restaurant Association, their annual convention. A black box competition is where each contestant is presented with a box of ingredients and must prepare the required items in a set time." He fidgeted with the peak of his cap, looked at the floor, then back up. "There are many categories — I've entered Hors d'Oeuvre Platter, intended hot, presented cold..."

"Sounds strange — intended hot, presented cold. What's that mean?"

"It means that the main theme of the category is its presentation, its visual impact, its eye appeal. The judging is on aesthetics — serving temperature and taste aren't criteria, not like they are with the intended hot, presented hot categories."

"So to give me a better understanding of what you want, tell me what the judges are looking for."

"According to the rules on the entry form, they're looking for visual impact, for artistry, for creativity and for a demonstrated understanding of technique."

Catherine looked him up and down with a smiling appraisal as she rearranged her chignon. "So, how can I help you?" she finally asked after a long pause.

"We're allowed to bring only one item to the competition, but according to the rules, it must be completely hand made from scratch by the contestant. I want you to show me how to make the perfect dish."

"What kind of dish have you in mind?"

"I've many ideas, probably too many — I don't know anything about this. I need outside input, some instruction and coaching. I don't know what's possible. Can you help me create a serving platter that'll knock the toques off the judges?"

Catherine smiled. "Okay, let's begin then. Put on that apron, give me your hands, we'll start by learning to wedge clay... It's important to make it relax, get the air out of it. This reduces surprises in the kiln."