Midas Well

In 500 words, imagine what happens when a blessing becomes a curse. Written for the Weekend Write-In prompt themed "Midas" 7 - 9 August 2015.

Blessed with wonderful mineral springs, a couple is cursed by their marketing naiveté.

The Inn

"We should find a place for the night", Maria said as they drove slowly along the narrow road winding up the side of the mountain valley.

"This is absolutely spectacular scenery," David replied after a short pause. "I've never been through this way, I didn't even know the road existed."

"That has to be twenty kilometres now, probably thirty. We've seen nothing but wilderness since the turn, not a sign, nothing."

"I've been looking for a place to pull over for the past quarter hour. The road is relentlessly winding and narrow."

As they crested a hill Maria pointed: "Look, a sign."

   Welcome to Midas Well
         Population XX  39.

"Forty-one crossed out. Looks like two died or moved away."

They drove into the tiny community in the pocket valley, looking for life. "Either everyone's away on business or vacation, or they've not kept up with editing the population sign," Maria said.

"There's another sign," David said, pointing ahead through the windshield.

   Midas Welcome Inn
             XXXX 5 km
     Shorter for crows

"Looks like the same sign writer," Marie mused. "And the same editor — converted to metric."

David stopped beside the sign and looked up the gravel road it indicated. About ten metres along it was another sign.

       Yes, there's
   Room at the Inn

"Looks like they have a sense of humour," he said as he turned into the narrow gravel road. "We're unlikely to find anything else up here in this remote corner. We might as well go in and check it out."

"Look at the flip-board on the sign, Maria said. "I bet the other side reads: There's no."

She was right.

"This road is well maintained, but looks like it's little used," David said as they started along it.

As they began a series of switchbacks, there was another sign:

      One good turn
   deserves another

The road continued in good condition, but it also continued winding as it took them back further into a hanging valley and then into a stand of old-growth timber. An arched sign hung across the road:

   Forest, Second & Third

"If he's into baseball, Home must be next," Maria said.

"What an idyllic setting," David said as he parked in front of the large log chalet. "Seems we're the only guests."

Inside, they were greeted at the reception desk and shown a choice of rooms. Impressed, they decided to stay and were taken on a tour of the facilities. Centred above the fieldstone fireplace was a painting of some wells and a horse, boldly signed OW 1915-1985. The brass plaque was overkill: Horse 'n Wells.

"Over here is our cold artesian well," said the receptionist, who identified herself as Rosaline, the owner. "The water is deliciously mineral and slightly effervescent. On the one side is our hot mineral spring, feeding the gravel basin. It stays just above body temperature.

At the end of the tour, she asked: "How did you hear about us?"

"From the signs."

"Great, I keep telling Gerald his signs are enough, we don't need anything else."