The First Bounce

In 500 words, pen a tale where an unexpected bounce changes everything. Written for the Weekend Write-In prompt themed "Bounce" 24 - 26 July 2015

I've climbed aggressively around the world for decades and have taught more gently...

The First Bounce

"I'm scared, David."

"Great! That's very important."

"No, I mean I'm really afraid I'll fall."

"Wonderful, Maria, that's vital."

"What do you mean it's vital? You're taking this very casually."

"Not at all. I'm talking seriously. Think about it — fear is natural, it's built-in and is a wonderful tool, an essential one. Fear is the body's message to us to be careful. Respond to it, hear its message, it guides us. React to it and it becomes dangerous. Ignore fear and the consequences are severe. Fear is essential to your safety -- It's very important to be afraid -- In the beginning fear controls us, but as we gain confidence, we begin using fear as a vital safety input. Heed its message, act accordingly."

"But what if I fall?"

"One of the things I love telling my climbing students is: Beginning climbers are afraid of falling, experienced climbers are afraid of things falling on them."

"What do you mean things falling on them?"

"Rocks dislodged from above. That's why we're wearing these helmets."

"How do they dislodge?"

"Higher up, it's usually from frost action. Down lower, the force of growing vegetation will pry stuff loose. Rocks are sometimes dislodged by the belay rope running over them and occasionally they're accidentally launched by climbers above."

"Now I'm really scared."

"Good! You're ready to climb, then. This first pitch has been cleaned and groomed. There are no loose rocks to be dislodged."

"But what if I fall?"

"Falls don't hurt at all. It's not until the first bounce that the hurting begins. But, seriously, I have you on a solid belay. The anchor is bombproof. I'm tied-in and I promise I won't fall on you. Do you remember the words?"

"Yes, but I don't think I'm ready to use them."

"The pitch is only five metres. I'll haul in the belay as you come up. Remember to stand straight up, directly over your feet; don't lean in. There are plenty of handholds and footholds all the way up. It's just like a ladder. Are you ready?"

"No. But okay -- On belay?"

"Belay on."

"Climbing."

"Climb on."

"This isn't as bad as I thought it would be; I'm nearly halfway up already."

"Stop there, Maria. Take a look around. Relax. Stand straight up over your toes. Remember, if you lean in, you push your feet out. All your weight over your feet."

"This feels good."

"Great! It's supposed to. Now fall."

"What?" Are you crazy?"

"No, not crazy, just giving you confidence in the belay, confidence in your safety."

"You must be joking."

"Think about it. Your feet are less than two metres off the ground. That's less than jumping out of an apple tree. What better place is there to gain confidence in the belay?"

"How do I do it?"

"Just push yourself off."

"Okay. I must be crazy -- Falling. Fuuuu... Oooh!"

"That wasn't bad, was it?"

"Can we do it again? I love the gentle bounce of the rope."