76. OVAL OFFICE, WHITE HOUSE, WASHINGTON, D.C.

Charles had one more place to stop before he went back to West Chester, New York.

It was easy compared to what he had to do: He had to bury his own wife, order her headstone.

It all seemed too final, too jarring.

Erik and Mystique insisted on accompanying him to choose her casket and her headstone. Hank had seen to the burial arrangements. She would be buried on the mansion grounds, near the graves of his own parents, not too far from the school she had dreamed into reality, and always near the students she loved so much. She would be their guardian angel.

He needed to make it clear to the U.S. Government that he was through. He personally met with President Lyndon B. Johnson to explain his resignation from any future role in government intervention.

Charles knew President Johnson would be disappointed, but enough was enough. The prices that Charles had to pay for his interventions had been too high.

He had lost the use of his legs in Cuba.

He lost his wife in Vietnam.

They always seemed to want more, ever more. And even now, they wanted more.

He had given so much, received nothing in return.

He couldn't get involved anymore, lose anyone else. None of it was worth it. The world would still hate him and others like him, even if he sacrificed his own life. He was not prepared to do that for the United States. He would have lost his own life in Vietnam, had Jane not given up her own life to save him. 

Enough was enough.

He was determined that he would not waste the second chance at life that she had given him. If he were to get himself and his X-Men involved again, her sacrifice would have been made in vain. She gave up her life for the children, not for the X-Men to get themselves embroiled in another conflict between humans.

He explained to the President that his first responsibility would be to his school, to keep Jane's promise.

"I am sure you understand why I must decline joining your service at this time. I wish to live in peace and run my school," Charles concluded.

"I'm sorry to hear that, Professor Xavier," President Johnson replied. "Any way you'll reconsider?"

Charles shook his head. "I'm afraid not, Mr. President."

"What becomes of the X-Men from here?"

"Oh I'll still train them to use their powers for good, but I will be putting my energy into the school for mutant children that my late wife and myself founded."

"A mutant school, huh?"

"Yes, Mr. President. I promised her that I would do my part to keep mutant children safe. Let them receive an education among others like them and where they are accepted, welcome, for being different."

"You said you need to keep them safe. Safe from what?" President Johnson questioned. "Why do mutants need to hide?"

"Anonymity will be our defense, Mr. President. We don't want trouble. We just want to live. In peace. No more war. At least no more human wars."

"What about this Magneto fellow, if he makes any more trouble?"

"Mr. President, My X-Men and I will take care of him. You worry about the humans; I'll worry about Magneto and the Brotherhood."

"How do you plan to keep track of him?"

Charles grinned and tapped his temple. "I have my ways, Mr. President."

"Mutant school, huh? Well, good luck, Professor Xavier. I hate to lose you, but maybe you're right. You're needed to fight a bigger fight that I can't help with."

"Thank you, Mr. President. This school is one promise I must keep."