58. OUTSIDE OF MY LAI, VIETNAM

Erik found a remote location outside of My Lai as the perfect place to land the jet. He had Riptide provide cover as Azazel landed the jet.

Perfect, yes, but not entirely safe. Erik knew not to trust wide open spaces in a jungle when the jungle was in a war zone

Erik opened the hatch and leaned out, waving his hand over the ground below. Landmines sprang from the earth. Erik must have pulled five dozen out. He shook his head, thankful for his intuition. He knew the land mines would be useful. He carefully set them around the perimeter of the clearing and the jet landed safely.

Erik held Mystique back and let the others exit first. "If any mines are left, my dear, let them find them," he warned her. "If any enemies are lurking in the trees, let them be taken out before us."

"And we can take off and leave them?" Mystique concluded.

Erik smiled as he pulled on his helmet, "Precisely, my dear."

They looked at Jane, she was still bound by the metal restraints. She appeared calm, composed. Erik walked toward her and leaned close. "I want you to understand something. You do not save any of the others unless it is on my command. Are we clear?"

Jane realized the implications of what Erik was implying. He didn't trust the others. "We are," she replied with a conspiratorial smile.

"Don't even ease their passing!"

"Understood."

Mystique stared at her. She had a new respect for this woman. She wasn't the wholesome, altruistic person she had confronted at the mansion. She was a killer, and a good one at that. She helped Erik lift Jane from the bench and they escorted her off the jet. They walked her on the opposite end of the clearing from the jet and ordered her to sit down. She realized they placed her far from the jet so she couldn't escape easily, taking the jet and leaving them for dead.

Erik lifted up about twelve land mines and placed them in a perimeter around Jane. She glared at him defiantly. Did he think landmines could stop her?

"No need for the dirty looks, my dear," he chided. "I promised you no harm will come to you. These are to keep the others out, rather than keep you in. But if you escape, understand I can't guarantee your safety. I'll keep you alive."

"Unless one of you is at the brink of death," she replied bitterly.

"Then you better hope we can put up a good fight and not get hurt." Erik turned around and faced the Brotherhood. He diverted a landmine from the barrier. "My Brothers! Need I remind you if so much of a hair is harmed on this woman's head, you will answer to me," the threatened, passing the landmine in front of each member who backed away from it, intimidated. "Do not take this threat lightly. Any harm comes to her, and you will die." He looked over at Jane. She still appeared defiant. He passed the landmine in front of each member again, smirked, and pushed it close to Quicksilver who lurched back, terrified.

"We get it, Magneto!" he cried out, his voice filled with terror. "Not a hair on her head!"

Erik faced Jane. "Mercy, my dear, I hope this reassures you that no harm will come your way. You have my word."

Mystique walked toward Jane, crouched on the ground next to her, looking her in the eye. "Right now it's only my love for my brother keeping you alive. I'll keep you safe for Charles' sake."

"If I can, I'll keep you safe for Erik's sake," Jane whispered. "Just get to me before your injuries are too severe, and keep us both alive."

A smile crossed Mystique's face. "Do the same for Erik? For me?"

Jane nodded.

Mystique leaned closer. "And what you did to Emma on the plane... do that to the others if they try to harm you. Do whatever you did that finished her off. I could care less if they live or die; I don't trust them. I have a feeling they may turn on us here."

"You want Shaw's people out of the picture?"

Mystique nodded.

"If one of them is injured, bring them to me. I'll kill them quickly. Is it easing their passing to kill them outright for so much as a scratch?"

Mystique's eyes grew wide and she smiled. What a ruthless woman, she admired. She smiled in respect for Jane, who returned the smile. I know she's not on my team, but she's on my side, Mystique realized.

"Mystique, my dear," Erik called out. "Come! We have a Company to infiltrate, an offensive to plan, and a world to turn against itself!"

Mystique got up and walked toward Erik and thegroup. She looked back at Jane. Jane nodded and Mystique gave her aconspiratorial smile.