62. MY LAI, VIETNAM

Charles had arrived in Vietnam. He looked down at the lush, tropical landscape in the disbelief that war raged through these trees. It looked so peaceful from above.

Banshee and Cannonball swept the area prior to landing, finding and disabling every landmine they had encountered before landing the jet. Charles was relieved when solid ground was beneath him. He ordered the hatch open and climbed into his new wheelchair that Impetus and Hank had designed. It was equipped for all-terrain abilities with treads rather than wheels and had guns built into the armrests. Charles felt perfectly ridiculous in it, but it was what he had to do to rescue Jane.

The X-Men filed down the ramp after him. They took their time adjusting to being on the ground. Charles tried the wheelchair on the ground, making sharp turns, and going forward, and in reverse. He was impressed.

"Hank, I sure hope this chair is as good as you and Impetus claim it is," he smiled. "I will go find Jane and deal with Magneto. I will not require your help."

Hank stared at him, aghast. "Charles, I would like to know how you plan to camouflage yourself out here!"

Cannonball looked disbelievingly at Charles. "Camouflage? Screw camouflage! I can't think of anything more insane than the Professor rolling through a war zone in a wheelchair!"

Charles laughed and tapped his forehead. "Believe me, once I camouflage myself, no one will see me. Even you!" Charles disappeared in front of everyone.

Cannonball could hardly believe his eyes. The others didn't seem too surprised. He looked over at Sway. "I've got to learn that trick!"

Sway shrugged and laughed as Hank and Havoc ledthem toward the village.