67. MAGNETO'S CAMP, OUTSIDE OF MY LAI, VIETNAM

Charles used his telepathy to find Erik. He knew Erik would be in full Magneto mode, wearing the helmet that he had stolen from Shaw. The helmet blocked any telepathy. Charles merely had to find the blocked area and he knew he would find Erik. He noticed there was a great deal of wind whipping the trees and in the center was Magneto, surrounded by a barricade of landmines that were swirling around him. He saw Jane in a smaller space, also barricaded by landmines. Charles was relieved to see she was completely unharmed. She saw him approaching and looked up.

Erik saw Charles and opened up a doorway in the mine barricade for Charles to enter. He rolled through. "Erik, this is madness! What are you trying to accomplish?"

"They'll never accept us, Charles!" Erik bellowed. "Do you think helping in this will help you? No! We'll be rounded up and stamped with a number!"

Charles shook his head. "They will now, Erik! You think they won't be able to tell mutants were behind this?"

"They won't know! The government will keep this silent! When word gets out what the soldiers did, the whole world will be focused on this little village while we take over the globe!"

"We aren't taking over anything! Erik, you need to stop this! Children are dying out there! Whatever you are trying to do, I want no part in it!"

"Always weak, Charles!" Erik accused.

"It's being the better one, Erik! You've accomplished your purpose out there! You've slaughtered an entire village. The world will eventually know. Now give me Jane!"

"Jane? Is she all you're here for? Not to stop me?"

Charles gave Erik an ice cold stare. "There is no way to stop what has been done here. Let us go home."

Erik raised his eyebrows. He moved the mines around Jane aside and waved for her to come to them. The landmine barrier around Erik also dropped.

Jane ran to Charles and embraced him. He kissed her and held her to him. He didn't want to let go of her and he didn't want to stop kissing her. Neither of them cared about the happy tears that ran down their faces. Charles was just glad to have her back in his arms.

Erik watched the scene unfold, unable to believe the open show of affection his normally reserved friend was showing. "She's unharmed, as I promised her, Charles. You taught her well. I never imagined she could use her power to... kill."

Kill? Charles was alarmed. "What did you make her do?"

Jane looked at Charles. "I killed his telepath," she replied matter-of-factly. "No one forced me."

"Emma Frost?" Charles gasped.

Erik nodded, "Quite a kick your wife has. I think it was more than just a kick."

Charles looked at Jane in shock. "I see you've used your training well!"

Erik reached out to them. "Charles, we need to band together as Brothers! Stop humanity from ruling us!"

He shook his head. "There are other ways to gain control. I don't agree with wholesale slaughter like this!"

"Then leave while you can, Charles. And stay out of my way."

Charles placed two fingers on his temple and concentrated. He looked at Erik, his eyes determined. "Stay out of trouble, and I will stay out of your way."

A helicopter hovered overhead and a ladder was lowered down to Charles and Jane. He and Jane grabbed the ladder and ascended into the helicopter. Charles felt some regret about leaving the wheelchair behind. It was an impressive piece of machinery. When he and Jane arrived in the cabin, they noticed that Charles's wheelchair was ascending as well. They looked down and saw Erik lifting it up. He made eye contact with Charles and winked. Charles had to laugh. Jane pulled the chair into the cabin and closed the hatch. She looked at Charles and wrapped him in her arms and cried. "You weren't supposed to rescue me," she tried to scold. "What about the kids?"

"They're safe," he reassured her. "Impetus and Polaris are watching them. I'd never rest if I knew you were over here and I didn't see with my own eyes that Erik was keeping you safe. Are you going to scold me or kiss me?"

Jane laughed and kissed him. "When we get home, we're not leaving our bedroom for a week."

"Really now, my love?" he teased. "You're never leaving my sight again! And if you do, I'll cross the world to find you."

"Why is it, I believe you will?"

He leaned toward her, "Because I'm here now."