59. MAGNETO'S CAMP, OUTSIDE OF MY LAI, VIETNAM

No one was alarmed when an Army private walked into the Brotherhood's camp. Erik smiled as the private paused and morphed back into Mystique. She walked forward and joined the others around a small campfire. She looked toward Jane who was held away from the group at a distance. Erik placed her to where she could see everything, but hear nothing.

Mystique walked over and sat down next to Erik.

"What did you find out, my dear?" he asked eagerly.

"The company is clamoring for blood," she revealed. "Since they've been here, they've had dozens of incidents involving mines or booby-traps which have caused numerous injuries to the soldiers. Five have died."

"Shouldn't be too hard to get them to fight, then! Maybe they could use some... help getting their revenge?"

"The Second Lieutenant is a man named William Calley. He is expressing interest in an offensive. There's a Colonel Medina who is also eager to be involved. The one who seems most eager for a fight is a Sergeant named Victor Creed," Mystique disclosed, making Erik smile. She continued, "Selling your idea of a wholesale slaughter to him will be easy. He could get the others to go along with it or pay the price for insubordination or dereliction of duty."

Erik looked over at Azazel. "Azazel, care to get this Calley fellow and bring him here? I think he and I need to have a talk."

Azazel stood up, smiled, and vanished. He returned moments later with a young man with light brown hair and a receding hairline. His eyes were slanted, his mouth wide, and his ears stuck out from the sides of his head. Erik wondered what kind of figure this Calley cut in a dress uniform and figured any cranial oddities would have been concealed by his cap. Calley was visibly shaken and looked around at the Brotherhood. Erik noticed that while he seemed pleased at Angel's appearance, he was visibly disgusted by Mystique. She noticed his disgusted look and glared.

"Welcome, Lieutenant!" Erik said, trying to appear welcoming. He motioned for the visitor to sit in a makeshift seat. "I'm sure you remember our Private Mystique?" Her upper body changed into the soldier she disguised herself as. Calley blinked in surprise as she smiled and changed back to her true form. Erik chuckled. "She tells me your boys are spoiling for a fight. How would you like some extra help? We have some... talents you may find useful. By allowing us to help you, you will help us accomplish what we came here to do."

"What is that?" Calley asked skeptically.

"Win this war," Erik replied as if the answer was obvious and Calley missed it. Everyone looked at one another and exchanged knowing smiles.

"I already have several guys on my team with special... talents!"

"Those three are the pets of my friend Charles Xavier," Erik dismissed. "Do you think they'd go along with it?"

"They would just follow orders."

Erik's face grew dark at that statement. It brought back memories he didn't need dredged up today. "Just follow orders, huh? How about making sure your offensive will be successful? Riptide here can create weather that could effectively cordon off your area and keep anyone from getting in or out. Angel here has quite the mouth on her. She can fly and spit fire. And Quicksilver here, he moves quickly. A useful skill for slaughter, no? And if you need anyone rounded up, no one works faster than Azazel."

"And the blue girl?"

"Mystique is our most useful member. She can disguise herself as anyone!" Erik exclaimed incredulously.

Mystique replied by changing herself into Calley and back. He was clearly stunned by her ability. Calley examined the group. He looked at each member. He still wasn't convinced. It looked like a ragtag group of people who could barely stand the sight of one another. It seemed as if its leader only trusted the blue girl. And what was the deal with the woman on the perimeter? They were mutants, but they weren't like the ones in his company. These seemed eager for blood, but were they really eager to win the war? "You say you can help us win this war?" Calley probed.

"Do you doubt our intentions?"

"No." He did, but this man couldn't know that. "I'm sure Colonel Medina will be happy to have your help. It is selling the idea to Colonel Barker that will take some work."

"And you wondered what the 'blue girl' will do?" Erik leered. "She will get the colonel to... agree. Won't you, dear?"

Mystique nodded and changed back into the Private. "I have my ways."

"Barker doesn't look like that," Calley pointed out.

Mystique glared. "I know that. What I can do is wait until he uses the latrine, drug him, and then I will look like him."

"Promise not to harm him!" Calley insisted.

Erik frowned. "Have you no faith in my blue girl? She'll do her job."

"When do we leave? If you want to plan this offensive with my boys, we need to get back to the camp."

Erik looked at Azazel. "Azazel? Take these guys to the camp. I'll stay here with our beautiful prisoner. I promised to keep her safe."

Azazel nodded. The Brotherhood joined hands. Azazel teleported them away, leaving Magneto behind with Jane.