31) 👓The Plan👓

Uncle Ismail walked in after a long day of work and kicked his shoes off before rushing upstairs, then back down again. This time, he wore a thobe and a taqiah. He was going to mosque. He kissed Aunt Husna's forehead and waved goodbye to me before leaving with Shaarif and Hamid at his heels. I waved back awkwardly and Hamid gave me a queer look before he left.

I didn't know how to approach Uncle Ismail. He was easy to talk to but we never usually spoke to each other and not about things like this. We mostly spoke about world news and stuff like that, nothing personal. Uncle Ismail was easy to make small talk with. Azlan's relationship with his parents was unfortunately, no topic for small talk.

The adhan was heard down the road so we quickly made wudu. Rubina and I read salah side by side. Her sisters were also there and so was Aunty Husna. It was nice to pray with family. It gave me a sense of comfort.

"What's wrong? You seem stressed out." Rubina sat beside me at the kitchen table a few minutes later. "Come on, let's go to the park. I'm tired of being stuck in the house. Mom, we'll see you later. Salaams."

Aunty Husna warned us to be back before dinner, then we left the house.

There was an old park down the road called Allison's Creek. The grass was dead and dry and a small stream of water flowed under a foot bridge. There were benches here and there and slides and swings for kids to play on. The park was completely empty at the time. Rubina and I found a bench near the stream and sat down, enjoying the fresh air.

"Now tell me what's going on with you, dude. You've been in your own world lately and that's very unlike you."

Should I have told Rubina about my problem or kept it to myself? I wanted to speak to Raeesa but she was on holiday in Bora Bora with her parents.

"It's a long story."

"Let me guess, you and Azlan have a thing going on?"

I stared at Rubina in horror. "Of course not!" I spluttered.

Rubina laughed. "Don't lie to me, Aamirah. C'mon, you can tell me anything, you know. We aren't enemies. Not anymore."

Those words lifted a heavy weight off my chest.

Maybe talking to Rubina wouldn't be such a bad idea.

I told her about Azlan's situation. She didn't seem fazed by his problem. Something told me that she knew about his parents long before I did. She and Azlan were close at one stage, after all. Was it wrong of me to be jealous? I couldn't afford to be immature right then. Azlan needed me and if that meant pushing aside my fears and emotions, then I would do so. Azlan saved my life. I wanted to at least make a small difference in his.

"Rubina, I think I have a plan."

》》》

"Pass the salad, please."

Aunty Husna smiled at her husband in approval. Her goal this year was to encourage healthy eating and her hard work in the kitchen was finally paying off. Uncle Ismail didn't make out greens to be as repulsive as the smell of cigarette smoke anymore.

My palms began to sweat as I thought of my plan. Rubina was helping me and I could only pray that she wouldn't mess this up. We excused ourselves from the dinner table earlier than usual and ran up to my room to go over the plan once more. Something was telling me that it would work but on the other hand, Uncle Ismail was very serious about work issues and wouldn't want to let his business partner down.

"Listen, you do your best to persuade him. Uncle Ismail will listen to you, I'm sure of it..."

Rubina nodded, deep in thought. Her eyes were focused on the carpet in my room and it was unlike Rubina to be that quiet and reserved.

"Rubs? Are you okay?" I placed a hand on her shoulder, concerned. Finals exams were around the corner and the pressure was on. This was our final shot at school. None of us could afford to mess it up and I figured that maybe Rubina was stressing over her academics. She didn't need to though, she was a smart girl.

Rubina slowly raised her head. "Azlan's story is heart-breaking. I thought that he was like me, you know, focused on popularity and things?"

I never saw it that way. Rubina had a good point. I fidgeted with a loose string on my t-shirt and shifted on the bed. The heat was terrible these days. A window was flung open on the far side of my bedroom. I would use the aircon in my room but let's face it; the earth's already tired so let's save its energy!

Cheesy, I know.

"I thought he was... Like, a downright bad boy too," I said, not wanting to pick on Rubina's past, "Not a man filled with fear."

"His society must have really been harsh, back where he lived... It's a noble thing you're doing, Aamirah; helping a damsel in distress like that."

I couldn't help but chuckle, imagining Azlan in a dress with a tiara and long hair.

Who was I kidding? He still looked damn good.

"Okay, let's go talk to Uncle Ismail. Good luck, Rubina."

Whilst I waited for Rubina, my phone began to ring. I answered it delightedly.

"Hey Raeesa! How are you? How's Bora Bora?"

"Aamirah," Raeesa whined, "Bora Bora is great but I miss you like crazy! How's Azlan?" She teased.

If my bestie wasn't on the other side of the planet, I would have marched up to her house and taught her a lesson.

"Uhm... Er..."

"Spit it out woman! I want details, every single last little-"

"Okay, okay. Sheesh, talk about nosey..."

I filled Raeesa in on Azlan's situation and mine and Rubina's plan.

"Aamirah Omar? A schemer? Wow, my best friend has really changed, hasn't she?"

I could literally hear the smirk in Raeesa's voice.

"Nope, she's still the same, sorry to burst your bubble." I shot back.

"No, she she's not," Raeesa said in a sing-song voice. "Anyway, good luck with your plan. I hope everything works out for yours and Azlan's sakes."

And with those final words, Raeesa cut the call and got back to her luxious island life.