9)His Smirk Is My Torture

I grabbed the tub of Magnum ice-cream and continued to savour the soft, melty piece of little heaven in front of me. I probably sound like a sad, pathetic teenage girl who's fawning over some guy that has let her down. Well my reason for being so lazy is far from that. All I needed was a chilled afternoon indoors. This week was an extremely long week, too long. All I wanted was a short break from the family drama, school drama and of course, the never-ending academics. Hamid knew this better than anyone else when he saw my bed head this morning. Since I was at home, I wasn't using a scarf. I smoothed my hair down and waited for Raeesa's call. At the library the other day, after Sakeenah snapped at me, Jana, Raeesa and I came up with a plan to find out about Azlan and Rubina.

Thursday - School Library

"So you're basically going to pretend as if I'm Azlan?"

"Yes, Raeesa. Aamirah just said that you're going to phone her, your caller ID will be 'Azlan' and when you phone Aamirah, Rubina will answer the call," Jana said.

"How will Rubina answer my phone, though?" I was so confused by this idea.

"I get what Jana's saying, dude. You're going to leave your phone somewhere, where Rubina will see the caller ID and answer the phone. There's just another problem though..."

"What is it?" Jana and I asked in unison.

"What will I say when Rubina speaks?" I chuckled at Raeesa's confusion. The plan was simple, she wouldn't have to say a thing. All she would have to do, is listen to the way Rubina speaks to 'Azlan.' That way, we'll know whether she may or may not have any romantic feelings for the player...

Saturday Afternoon - Presently

The plan was to take place today. I suddenly remembered to leave my phone in a place where Rubina would see it. I dashed into the kitchen and placed my phone on the granite island. I heard Safina and Sakeenah bickering in the passage, so I slipped into the living room and waited for them to pass.

"We're going to the movies and that's final."

"No we aren't, Jake said we can go to the park if I wanted, after all, I'm the one he wants," Safina whined, "And the movies are so boring, what are you gonna do in there besides focus on something other than the people you're with?"

"Oh, shut up, Saf. I'm the older one of us."

"By just 2 minutes!" The girls continued to argue over yet another random boy. I heard Sakeenah grab her set of house keys and leave with her sister on her heels. Those two could never like a different boy. I'm glad I don't have a twin. A few seconds later, Rubina pranced into the kitchen. She opened the fridge in search of, you guessed it, food. I shrank into shadows and waited for Raaesa's call. Rubina was about to leave the kitchen with a plate of pancakes when...

My phone rang.

Rubina, being the curious cat that she was, walked over to my phone and picked it up. Her eyes widened at the sight of the caller ID. What I didn't expect, was for her to shrug, place the phone down and simply walk away.

》》》

The next morning, Rubina had left the house early. Her sisters were staying over at their friends' house and Hamid, Shaarif and their circle of friends were gone to the mall. It was just me and Raeesa at my house. I had invited Jana over but she was busy helping her mother at their store.

"Stop stressing, Aamirah. I guess they aren't a couple..."

"But they seem so close, Raeesa... This is all very confusing."