LoveLines: Best/Worst Tropes in PR?

Hello and welcome to Lovelines, where we answer your questions about writing paranormal romance!

Today our question comes from Eileen Dover, who asks:
"What are some of your favorite romance tropes to write or read? How do you subvert those tropes to make them unique and interesting?"

Eileen's lover, Ben Dover, also wrote in to ask:

"What are some common pitfalls in writing paranormal romance that you often see, and how can an author avoid those mistakes?"

Godhand - One of my favorite tropes is the person new to this world that has to be oriented by a wizened mentor. The problem of course, is not addressing the power dynamics inherent in that. The appeal is that the rookie gets to explore this new world with a safe partner...but without that partner, they might feel abandoned and out of place. So to subvert that trope, I feel it's important to show that the rookie learns on their own and doesn't NEED the mentor, and that they come together on equal footing as mutuals to be lovers.

The biggest pitfall I've seen with paranormal romance is just how...predictable it can be at times.
The naive young girl is captured by the dark lord and eventually submits to his will at the cost of her own after she sees him pet a puppy or something to show He's Not That Bad.
The girl who was made fun of by the pack gets kicked out and comes back as a badass and now the Alpha wants her. Or the girl who finds out she's this werewolf's 'mate' and doesn't get a say in it. If I can predict the outcome of the story down to details, where's the thrill?

IdrisGrey I love all the cliche stuff, honestly. I love meet-cutes--running into each other in the rain, sharing a cab, their dogs getting tangled by their leashes in the dog park; I love ALL the cute stuff, no shame . I think the difference between subversion and the failure of a trope is just how well it's executed. If the characters are developed and their story and relationship are unique enough, I don't think you have to break your back to throw a monkey wrench into an existing trope. Just look at all your component parts: your setting (atmosphere), your characters, your paranormal tentpoles (has it been done and if so can you make it sing in a way nobody else has?), your plot, your writing style. Anything can determine the difference between a run-of-the-mill paranormal romance and chart topper. Go all out.

One of the biggest pitfalls I've ever seen is insta-love. It's the worst. I loathe it in a deeply personal way. Your characters should not be in love the moment they see each other, unless there is a very good reason for it. Soulmate tropes, at a stretch, are a decent reason. Beyond that, we're dealing with insta-lust that MAY turn into to love. I don't like that at all. I think romantic relationships have to be earned in order to be enjoyed, so I challenge writers to make their characters earn their loves stories. The same with happy endings. You can't slap a happy ending on every tale willy-nilly. It has to feel right. It has to feel earned.

LynnS13 - I like opposites attract. Yep, that's the cornerstone of almost all romances. I don't exaggerate it, though. Sometimes people take these behaviors to the extremes, to the point in which it would be impossible to survive as a couple in the real world.

Since I write mostly fantasy, one of the ways to write those opposites is not relying on character traits, but in points of view about what is considered acceptable or not within the character's worlds. It makes for interesting exchanges.

As for Ben's question, please, don't ever forget your subject. I have read so many novels with vampires who forget to drink blood, werewolves who turn once and then don't give a hoot bout the moon cycle, demons born with a heart of gold and ghosts that soon enough find that ghosty ex machina trick to do corporeal stuff... don't get me started.

I understand the part of being innovative and plot convenient, but there are certain rules that were meant to be followed. If you want to avoid pitfalls, make your characters unconventional by using elements of legend and folklore not everybody is aware. It is fun and will give you extra points for research.

RSKovach - I enjoy writing and reading 'opposites attract' tropes because you have the great basis for conflict that eventually turns into romance. I also think that the 'returning to your roots/hometown/past' trope is fun too because you have the opportunity to show growth in your character and reveal their backstory organically while they fall in love (again?) with their old flame.

Pitfalls of paranormal romance? I think the biggest one would be trying to avoid a cliche so badly that you twist the standard trope too much, thereby cheapening it. Take zombies, for example. I really love how Warm Bodies was able to give a fresh perspective to the genre by making love part of the cure. It was different enough to work, but not so different that you doubted its authenticity. On the other hand, I'm not a fan of The Santa Clarita Diet. The origin of zombieism, as well as its manifestation is just too far away from the original tropes that it doesn't feel like a zombie story to me, in spite of all the raw meat eating. Throwing in an hyper-sexed, undead lead just makes it silly (maybe that's the point since it's a comedy?) instead of paranormal.

What do you think, Listeners?

What are some of your favorite tropes in paranormal romance?What are some of your least favorite tropes?What are some of the unique subversions of tropes that you've seen in stories?