LoveLines: What makes a romance compelling?

Hello and welcome back to 'LoveLines'!

Our next question comes from Amanda Hugginkis. She asks:

"What makes a romance compelling? How can I write a romance where the reader roots for the characters to be together?"

Godhand - I really enjoy seeing characters support each other, whether that's portrayed as romantic or platonic. I love that deep emotional bonding. But I feel it has to be earned, and with that, their bond has to be tested. What will break them and can they overcome it? If they're constantly arguing, I need to see they're doing that because they care about the other person (even if they don't realize it). I want to see people be open and intimate with each other. I want to see them put someone else's needs above their own. I want to see tenderness and affection.

IdrisGrey -Chemistry makes a romance compelling. Your two (or more) characters have to have spark together. This comes from how those characters relate to each other, but it also comes from the characters themselves. They have to feel real and filled with passion and wit and drive, otherwise it's not very interesting to see them be attracted to or in love with anybody else. Write compelling characters and then make them passionate about each other for some reason (just because doesn't work) and your romance is sure to spark.

LynnS13 - Character interaction makes it compelling. Romance, like any other endeavor, shouldn't come easy. There's that whole discovering one and other to take in consideration. When one of the characters at least has a non-human element things can be complicated, but if you keep that very human aspect of striving to win that affection, is something your readers will relate to.

RSKovach - In any good story whether it's romance or some other genre, you first have to make your readers care about your characters. This doesn't mean that all your characters should be sweet and perfect. They can be really evil or messed up and still be relatable, complex, and interesting. In fact, sometimes flaws and quirks help in connecting a reader to a character. For romance in particular, you have to make the reader understand why your characters are falling for each other. When this isn't done right, it often leads to what readers call "insta-love" and many really, really don't like this. There can definitely be an immediate attraction, but then build on it slowly. Add roadblocks, struggles, and if you're a really mean author, maybe a temporary breakup or (gasp!) a love triangle. If you've set the stage correctly, your readers will be actively rooting for your characters to overcome these and end up together!

What do you think, Listeners?Do you agree with our panelists? What else would you add that can make a romance work between people?What are some things that make a romance not work?

Do you agree with our panelists? What else would you add that can make a romance work between people?
What are some things that make a romance not work?