Interview: Wattpad Fright

Interview with Wattpad fright

We dropped in on Wattpad's Home of Horror for their thoughts on Paranormal Romance and their vision for the horror genre. We have not only one, but four of fright's staff here with us today!

Greetings, Fright!

Let's begin with a little bit about you. Fright has grown exponentially over the years, but for those who aren't yet familiar with it, how would you describe what the Fright profile offers to Wattpad users?

Answer: TAHinsonE84: I believe that Fright offers an abundance of frightfully gooey fun outlets for writers and readers to enjoy the horror community within Wattpad.

Answer: JesseSprague: I agree, but I think it's important to add that it isn't just for the horror community. I think that's why Fright works; we are open to any genre as long as you have a certain darkness to the story. Paranormal writers, Vampire and Werewolf writers, and Thriller...can't forget they all belong in our vast, tentacled embrace!

Answer: sallhwa0314: How about this then? Although our name is Fright, we don't limit ourselves to just things that are meant to scare. We offer our readers an abundance of stories that touch upon Vampires, Werewolves, Mystery & Thriller, Paranormal, and maybe even a little bit of Romance. If the story has a certain darkness within it and just the right amount of creepy, we're all up for introducing it on our profile. In that sense, Fright is a community for anyone who enjoys the darker side of fiction and not necessarily just for those who love to be scared.

Sounds like my kind of place! You mentioned that your tastes are vast and varied, but which would you say has been your most successful reading list and why?

Answer: JesseSprague: Depends on what you mean by successful. We get more submissions for short story than any other list. I think because we ask that a story be complete before submitting, the short story list gives access to a lot of authors who may not have a completed novel yet.

Answer: sallhwa0314: I'm not sure how accurate this is, but I would think Top Horror Stories or the Featured list would be quite popular for newer users of Wattpad who want to see some of the best stories in the horror genre Wattpad has to offer.

Like all good pages, Fright fits all kinds of stories, specifically dealing with fear, man's darkest conflicts or paranormal/supernatural events. How does fright handle romance or other unrelated genres/sub-genres?

Answer: JesseSprague: I don't know that we do handle romance in a fashion different from anything else...I mean it won't steer us away from your story but it won't steer us towards it either.

Answer: Jewel1307: For me it's about how the story is told. If it catches my attention and keeps me engaged with a dark theme throughout, I don't mind what genre it is.

Answer: sallhwa0314: Agree with Jewels. If the main genre of the story is still something dark, like horror or mystery, and romance is just tied within it, we wouldn't have any problems with it.

Paranormal romance is one particular sub-genre, what would you say you enjoy most about reading it?

Answer: TAHinsonE84: Giving that Fright has so much horror themed stories, it's nice to have a bit of romance to bring another element of storytelling, or events to the stories; rather than the constant 'on-the-edge-of-your-seat' thrills; a bit of romance helps - in my opinion - bring the reader closer to the story by adding a touch of personalized emotions, which, we all can relate to.  Does that make sense?