Chapter 8 - the story

2 years ago after leaving the agency,

Me and Lucas moved somewhere far away from the big city and all the trouble. We decided to stayed somewhere in North Carolina Coast, The Outer Banks. We brought a house by the beach and then pretty much the first 3 months away from D.C. and lived here it felt like heaven. Until out of nowhere someone called Lucas to interrogate a case about a alien abduction thing.I didn't know about it until I realized he's been out for nearly 2 weeks and I'm just stayed at home doing nothing but read and write and listened to two woman on the supermarket talking about someone who got abducted and I knew it.

Suddenly on Monday night 2 weeks later, I was sitting on the couch watching tv and I heard he came.

"Lucy?" he walked into the living room and saw me sitting there. 

"Where have you been?" I asked as I stand up from the couch and looked towards him.

"I told you yesterday, Robert asked me to go to fishing since his brother gone missing." He said and I nodded slowly and give him a faked smile and walk away from there to the kitchen.

"I wish you can trust me." I said and stand front the kitchen counter and Lucas followed me and stand front the kitchen entry. 

"I do trust you, what's wrong?" he asked like he is innocent and I tried to hold my tears.

"I know what you've been doing this last two weeks," I said and tears fell from my eyes and he give the guilty face and looked down. "I thought you promise to not involve on those kind of things! you said it yourself!" I cried and then he looked at me.

"I know! But I can't help myself but think every night if this nightmare even gonna goes away." he said with his angry tone and walked towards me. 

"Well, because you believe things that aren't real!" I shouted at him and then for a second we become silent and just looked at each other eyes.

"Because it's real Lucy, the alien, the government secret files, the black organization! You see's it yourself! For eight years we worked, why can't you believe?" He said it with his soft tone and he grab my hand and I stopped crying.

"Because I don't want to believe the impossible," I take a deep breath. "Eight years ago I didn't know what I was doing until you showed me how. And even I saw many unexplained, unmake sense things, I still don't believe it. Because all I believe is you." I said looking at him and slowly smiled and then he slowly let go my hand and put it around me and pulled me against him. 

"I believe in you too." He said and then slowly I push my head and looked at him. 

"I'm sorry, it's my fault." I said feeling bad.

"No, it's me, I should have not taken the case and so we don't have this argument." He said.

"Well, then it's both of us fault." I said smiling and slowly he lean his head towards me and we kiss. 

2 months after that, 

I realized I've been throwing up lately and feeling so dizzy, so I haven't been reading or writing for the last 2 months, and I haven't come up of 'that' idea until I decided to checked on a doctor in town and told me  that I'm pregnant 3 months old. 

I came back to the house and realized what day is it today, 25th February, Lucas birthday. It was the perfect date and the perfect time to tell him. I walked in to the house and tried to find him around the house and then beach, I didn't found him, except a post-it laying on the kitchen counter,

 I'm gone to D.C. for a few days, sorry we won't be spending tonight together, but I promise you I'll make it up to you :) Xx Luke.

My heart was broken but in the same time at least he told me the truth not hiding it from him. So for the last 24 hours I was alone in the house and well not really. I'm happy but worried in the same time about being pregnant and Lucas and this whole X Project thing we do in the past can affect us.

The next day, I was walking around the beach and saw Lucas from the distance looking for me, as he found me, he ran towards me and flung his arms around me. "I'm sorry left." He said and I smiled.

"Happy birthday." I said and we smirked.

"Thank you darling." he said.

 "Anyway, I want to tell you something." I said slowly pushed him and looked at him.

"So do I." he said excitedly.

"Well, you go ahead." I said faked my smile.

"Well, I know going to DC was a bad idea, but I met someone," he said and I shocked my head a bit. "He offered me a job, but I told him I need to think about it and ask you." 

"What job?" I asked.

"Well you know..." He said with a guilty tone and I take a deep breath.

"Lucas I thought we've been through this two months ago! You promise–"

"Jane! I can't live my life like this anymore! I can't be who I pretend to be! My life is out there searching the truth about this life! I can't sit around catching fish and just spend my whole day with you doing nothing but read and talk." He suddenly rise his voice and it stopped me. Suddenly I feel tears try to fall from my eyes, but I hold it slowly. 

"Lucas... I didn't mean... I mean..." I said out of words to said and he looked away from me. "Fine then, I'm sorry that because of me you can't live your life. I'm even sorry for falling in love with you." I said it holding my tears and walked away from him. 

As I get in the house, I quickly packed things up and all I want is to leave this house and to leave him and one thought came across me, raising a child alone? 

"Lucy..." suddenly Lucas was standing behind the bedroom door as I just finished putting all my cloths into my luggage.

"Lucas, I can't do this anymore." I said and quickly looked at him with my teary eyes.

"Lucy I didn't mean to say those–"

"I've thought about since two months ago you know, I've thought of leaving you. But I realize I love you for who I am and I don't care if things got rough, but I still love you. And you says those words while I was about to say that I want to settle down with you, forget about our past and move on. But you can't even let go your past and how suppose I live now if I have to hold on to your past too?" I said with my soft tone holding my anger out and I take my luggage.

"But you don't have to go. We can fix this up!" he said smiling in tears.

"No, we can't.  We aren't what we use to be, Lucas. It was the old us, the us who still become partner who can't live without each other side. Now, we aren't partner, we are two people who in love and trying to settle to the future, but can't let go the past. I can't Lucas, I can't." I said it with my teary eyes and then I take a deep sigh and took a moment gazing at him and then I walked out the room and out the house.

As I got in to my car, I looked at the house and then Lucas that is standing on the door looking at me inside the car in tears. I looked at my stomach and smiled slowly. "We can be wonderful together, just the two of us. Somewhere people wouldn't know and create a future together." I said in tears and looked at Lucas as I turn on the engine. 

"lucy!" he shouted and then I back up the car and drive away and since that day, I never saw or talk to Fox Leonard Lucas ever again and moved someone where no one can find me, until I settle down in New York after a tragedy happen that no one know.

–––