Chapter 6 - life aftermath

After leaving the agency, my life back to normal, but not  the life I had planned on my first journey before deciding to join the agency on the first place. I'm 33 and now I worked as an English teacher at St Paul School in Upper East Side. So far, my life went well and no man in suit stalking me around wanting to kill me. Now is the time start from the beginning and follow the flow. 

It's the first of December and in a few days I will be having holiday away from the snow and freezing air of New York!

"Miss Rutherford?" The class dismissed a minute ago and one of my student parent, Mr Bowman  stand front the opened door while I was cleaning my paperworks to my bag and stand up from my desk.

"Yes Mr Bowman?" I asked smiling and he walk in to the classroom.

"I was about to ask you about Lily private practice, but instead I want to ask you about something." He said smiling shyly and I smirk.

"Sure, go ahead."  I said.

"Lily birthday is in a week, and I would appreciate if you want to join us." He asked and I smile blushing. It's his 5th times hitting on me since the parents teachers meeting a few months ago. 

"Oh Mr Bowman I would love to but–" suddenly I looked on the hallway, a man in suit just passed. I always have to bad instinct feeling since I joined the agency and it carried me till now, even isn't something bad. "Excuse me." I said and quickly I walk out the classroom and look around the hallway, there just students walking by, gladly. And then I turn back towards him.

"What did you want to say?" he asked again and I smirk.

"Right..." I walk closer towards him. "Mr Bowman, you're a very generous man and I appreciate you invitation, but I can't accept it." I said and he frown.

"Why?" He asked.

"I just can't," I said smiling. "But thank you for offering me." I walk towards my table and take my bag and turn again at him.

"How about a dinner tonight at Tavern around 6pm?" he suddenly asked and I shock my head.

"Mr Bow–" 

"I will be waiting." He quickly cut my word before finishing and then he left the classroom with a smile. He never give up isn't him? 

Everyday after finished teaching, I went to housing works bookstore cafe to just sit there and read book for 2 hours and enjoy a cup of coffee or maybe a cup of hot chocolate  and sometime I take out my laptop and start writing on my story I've been working on for years. 

Sometimes I saw Lucas on my daydream everywhere, across the street watching me before left off to school, or walking passed my classroom hallway, or maybe now, sitting on the corner of the cafe beside the window reading a newspaper a sign of trying to hide his face from me, and when I looked away, he's gone all of sudden. Somehow Lucas haunted me everywhere, I don't know if it him or just my brain messing up with me. 

Suddenly as I got back home I just changed up in my pajamas and then I saw the clock, it's almost 6pm and I would be a terrible person to not show up on a date. So I changed up in a beautiful black dress and then I wore a bit of make up and a red lipstick on and lastly I don't forget to wore a warm black coat and a white wool scarf around my neck so I won't be freezing outside,

I drive to Tavern and as I got there, I saw a man in a black coat waiting outside the restaurant in a freezing night of New York and I parked my car down the street. As I get out the car, I walk across the street, and he saw me walking towards him with his face shocked looking at me.

"Miss Ruther–"

"Call me Kate." I said smiling while blushing. 

"Yes Kate... You look amazing!" He said gasping while smiling widely. "Wow, you're so beautiful." 

"Thank you, so do you." I said.

"I thought you won't make it." he said.

"I would be a terrible person if didn't." I said and he smirk. 

So after that we went inside and we got the table right on the corner of the room and we order first, and then a bottle of wine came, and the waiter pour it till half to our each of wine glass.

"So how long you've been in New York?" he asked and then he take a sip of his wine.

"Well a couple of years, since I started teaching." I said.

"Well, Lily always talked about you all the time." he said and I shocked my head a bit while smiling.

"Really? What does she talk about?" I asked.

"How lovely and generous you are." He said and I blush again.

"Oh Mister Bow–"

"Call me Richard." he cuts me off and I smile in embarrassment.

"Okay, Richard. That is a very kind words of her." I smiled.

"That the reason why I decided to ask you to go on a dinner with me." he said.

"What for?" I asked and hold my wine glass and take a sip of it.

"Getting to know you." he said and I smiled.

"Well–"

"Richard?" suddenly a woman came towards us looking at Richard so shocked and I look at both of them and Richard was in shocked too.

"Johanna?" He shocked and smile slowly.

"Yes, I just got back from London this afternoon. How are you?"

Suddenly she joined our table, for almost 10 minutes I feel so left out by him, and even before our food arrive I decide to make a move. 

"Richard I just remember that I need to look over my uncle." I said lying to him and then I stand up from my chair.

"Oh Kate, I'm sorry." he said terribly and stand up from his chair too.

"No it's fine, it's my bad too." I smirked and the I take my coat and wear it while I hold my scarf. "You know, it's been a lovely evening to meet you both." I smiled.

"Yeah... See you tomorrow?" he said and I nodded slowly and then left both of them. 

As I got outside, I never feel relief in my life walking away from that awkward dinner I ever had. I think Johanna is his old lover or maybe someone he love before but never get a chance to love her, or maybe I shouldn't think of this. 

So I crossed the street and get in my car. Now where do I go? Isn't funny when I'm already dressed and wore a red lipstick and just stay at home? So I call someone who I know, some who can I trust to. 

I waited at High Lines park around 10 minutes and it almost close here but I still wait sitting on the bench.

"Hot chocolate Miss?" I looked up and saw a middle-aged men smiling at me and I smile back at him as he hand me a cup of hot chocolate.

"Thank you Tony." I said and then he sit down on the empty side beside me. Tony is my uncle who raised me since my parents death, and he the only person I trust since I left the agency and moved back to New York. 

"So why you dress so beautiful with no occasion at all?" he asked and I smirk.

"Well, I went to a dinner that a man asked me. But unfortunately he met this woman named Johanna and somehow he forgot that I exist." I said frowning and he put his hand on my shoulder.

"Well, that man a douchebag." He said and I chuckle. 

"Oh uncle Tony, I'm just lucky to have someone like you who understand me better than I do." I said looking at him.

"Because you're my niece, my daughter and I love you." He said and we both smiled to each other and I take a sip of my hot chocolate and slowly it warms me and my heart ache.