“Morning. I’m super tired. School shouldn’t start this early,” I complained, “What about you?”

He leaned his back against the locker and looked down at me while shrugging, “Nothing really, just a stiff neck. All this stress for next week’s exam is getting to me.”

“Think a neck rub would make it feel any better?” I asked, secretly sighing over his amazing moss green eyes that were looking right at me.

“Yeah it probably would.”

“Only if I get to use you as a pillow after,” I negotiated.

“That tired? Okay, you have a deal.”

“I can’t reach your neck if I’m sitting down here and it’s all the way up there,” I joked with an exaggerated eye roll. He took a seat in front of me and tipped his head forward so I could get to his neck better and I started massaging away all the tense knots.

“Why are you tired so today?”

“The composition assignment is due soon. I finished the written part of my song but I can’t get the piano part the way I want it.”

“Do you need any help? Maybe I can lend a hand?”

“I’ll let you know. I’m going to my mum’s shop tonight after dinner to finish it and hear what it sounds like on a real piano. My electric at home just isn’t the same,” I told him. Feeling brave I leaned my head against the back of his neck and left it there.

If I were to ask him out right now what would he say?  I wondered to myself. I was working up the courage to ask him when Owen came around the corner and spotted us sitting there.

“Morning guys!” he called in greeting.

Owen and I had been best friends since our mums had told us to play nicely in the sand box together on the first day of kindergarten. Okay, not right away... he had thrown sand at me and I solved things by hitting him – something he refuses to admit ever happened - but after that little incident he seemed to have deemed me tough enough to be allowed to hang out with him. All my friends swore up, down and sideways that Owen had this huge crush on me, but really we were just friends.

“Hey Eva, are you coming to the party this Saturday?” asked Owen.

“If you can convince my mum to let me go I am in,” I told him.

The warning bell went telling us we had five minutes to get to our homerooms before we were late. Carter got up and pulled me to my feet. When he let go, all too soon for my liking, we all headed in the direction of our classroom: math.

“Where’s Vic?” I hissed to Carter and Owen when I entered the classroom and noticed my best friend’s desk was still empty and I realized I hadn’t seen her yet that morning.

“Not a clue,” replied Owen as he took his seat. I looked at Carter and he just shrugged as he walked away.