Chapter 48

Vincent and I definitely had differing opinions about the term ASAP. When I returned to bed after my enlightening evening with the girls, he still hadn't come home from handling the disturbance. I guessed the time to be around seven AM when I woke up with Vincent's legs and arms wrapped around me, and I spent a few minutes indulging in our rare moment of closeness, snuggling against him and caressing the dark stubble on his chin. He stirred and tucked me under his arm as he kissed the top of my head.

"You have no idea how great it feels to have you in my bed," he said.

"I was just thinking the same thing. How long have you been asleep?"

"I haven't."

"Did you just get home?"

"No, I've been here about an hour, but I didn't want to sleep through this. You feel too good."

"I know what you mean." I planted a quick kiss on his chin, and his stubble tickled my lips. "How was your night?"

"Very enlightening. The demons are obsessed with you."

"Really?" I turned in his arms so I could see his eyes. They were my only gauge to his feelings. "Are you talking about Christoph and his groupies?"

"Yes. Apparently, your purple-haired demon slept around a lot, and they all think they're infected."

"Her name is Kelly." I wasn't sure why I felt the need to personalize my attacker, maybe because I had a hard time seeing her as a demon. She looked like a regular girl.

"It was Kelly."

"What?"

"She killed herself last night. Apparently, she was feeling the pressure of infecting her comrades. One less demon to worry about."

He shrugged his cold indifference, but my throat was attempting to collapse in on itself, and I pulled away from his warmth to sit up.

"What's wrong?" Vincent's forehead bunched. He looked confused and a little sanctimonious as he stared at me.

I didn't want him to see me cry, but that's exactly what was happening, and I swallowed hard as I tried to keep the tears at bay. I knew it was not the proper reaction for a gollum after hearing about the death of a demon.

"Nothing. You wouldn't understand." I pushed off the bed and headed for the bathroom, closing the door behind me. I grabbed a tissue and stood in front of the mirror, dabbing moisture from my eyes. Was this my fate, to become a beast like them, spending my nights snuffing out demons then grabbing takeout? Or would I be kept at home popping out baby gargoyles to replenish their dwindling numbers? Neither option sounded appealing, and talons and fangs weren't exactly trending for women. Did I really want all of this or just the mega hunk who came with it? Did I have a choice?

Vincent knocked. "Reese. Please, tell me what's bothering you."

Really? Did he have no clue why I might be upset? Was he that desensitized?

"She was a demon," he said calmly. "She hurt you. She was ready to deliver you to Cecile. Kelly didn't care about you."

"How do you know she didn't care? Have you ever been inside the head of a demon? Have you ever spent a day in their shoes?"

There was a good amount of silence before Vincent spoke again. "No, but I have felt the pain of their hostility. Lived with the fallout of their malicious acts. Hated them for taking Roberto away from us. I have a biased resentment towards all demons. It's in my DNA." I heard him sigh as he leaned against the door, making it groan under his weight. "I understand you're still trying to figure us out. But, please... say you still love me in spite of it."