Chapter 36

Vincent maintained his proprietary grip on my waist while he and Rizzo planned their logistical attack on Heath and his demon comrades. This meant Sylvie and I were forced into their paranoid world, planning our strategy for the rest of the night under the potted fern.

"I haven't taken a single photo in over fifteen minutes," I told her. "I need you to be my backup, Sylvie. I doubt Vincent is going to let me out of his sight."

"He better not. I've got this handled, girl."

"Just stay close to security and far away from Heath."

Sylvie rolled her eyes as she lifted my camera off my neck. Then she air kissed me and stepped into the crowd. A moment later, the lights dimmed and the music softened, prompting the ballad lovers onto the dance floor. Vincent pulled me against his hip, speaking over the deejay.

"Will you dance with me, Reese?" He held his palm out as he waited for my reply. Hell yes, I wanted to dance with my six foot three, sexy-as-sin boyfriend. I placed my hand in his and he walked us onto the dance floor.

Pretty much every set of eyes was on us, and I doubted it was due to my amazing moves. Vincent made a fine phantom, and the fact that his intense gaze never strayed from my face had me completely distracted. I barely noticed Heath dancing nearby with Sugar Skull. Heath never danced, which was apparent from the hack job he was doing, but this was all part of the game, and Vincent appeared to be enjoying it. He held me so close and danced so seductively, with his leg slipping between mine and his lips grazing my cheek when he dipped me, I worried he might lose himself, but the gleam in eyes was not caused by lust. It was the look of a gladiator waiting for the gates to open and the battle to begin.

When the rhythm sped up and the dance floor crowded with rowdy drunks, Vincent escorted me back to our bunker at the potted plant.

"Oh, my God. You two were so fucking hot out there," Sylvie said as she met us under the plastic canopy. "I thought the dance floor was going to catch fire."

Vincent didn't appear to hear Sylvie as he scanned the crowd. He was still holding my hand as if it was the most natural thing to do.

"I really need to act like I'm working, Vincent," I said, although I didn't put much enthusiasm behind my statement. He probably didn't even hear me.

Vincent turned to stare at me like he'd heard me perfectly well. "How many photos have you taken?"

Sylvie handed me my camera and I checked the readout. "Two hundred and sixty-five."

He jutted out his chin, looking satisfied. "That's enough for what they're paying you."

I raised my eyebrows, ready to challenge him on his perverse knowledge of everything related to me, but I didn't think it was appropriate to argue with the guy who had come to my rescue. An hour later, the music died and party guests started leaving. Debra found me still hiding out at the potted fern, and I felt a little foolish having Vincent clinging to me while I tried to do business, but there was no getting around it.

"Sylvie and I got a lot of great shots, Debra." I gestured to my camera, which I had slung around my neck to give the appearance I had not abandoned my duties, but Debra's eyes were not on me. They were on my clingy boyfriend.

"Sounds great, Reese. You can send the collection to me via an email attachment. Vincent, I hadn't expected to see you here."

"I may not have mentioned it." Vincent offered Debra a brief yet polite glance as he responded, but he was clearly distracted by the activity in the ballroom.

Debra looked hurt by Vincent's aloof attitude. Apparently, she didn't know him that well. "I'm sure Governor Bailey would enjoy seeing you, if you want to hang back."