Chapter 43

Vincent's absence felt like a hunger pain. The kind of pain you get when you reach into the cookie jar for that last cookie and realize someone has eaten it. In my case, Vincent left me hungry more times than I cared to think about, but I continued to crave him.

Mom's call came at precisely ten o'clock, and while I tried to keep the subjects light, she insisted on knowing whether I had seen any unsavory characters lurking around my apartment. I assured her that Vincent and his family were keeping a close eye on me, and that all was well. Of course, all was definitely not well, but Mom and Dad didn't need to know that. I couldn't blame them for being paranoid. Their only remaining child had been snatched out of the living room window by a winged bandit. If they knew my big secret they would flip. Hopefully, they would never find out.

After skating around thin ice for close to an hour, I hung up and took care of my bodily functions, including clipping my fingernails, which had grown exponentially over the past twenty-four hours. I walked to Mr. Pearlman's place to make sure he was alive and well. I didn't have to wait long before he answered the door in his usual nasty robe, dabbing at a fresh coffee stain with a dishtowel.

"That thing needs to be washed, Mr. Pearlman," I said as he opened the door to let me in. "I wish you would wear the new one I gave you for your birthday. I'm starting to think you don't like it."

"It's not broken-in like this one."

"Well, you have to wear it to break it in. That's how it works." I smirked as I walked around his apartment, picking up after him. "How are you feeling? Have you been sleeping okay?"

"I'm sleeping fine. How are you doing, Reese?" His pale eyes assessed me as he lowered into his recliner. "You seem to have your hands full with gentleman callers these days." He glanced pointedly through his window, the one that gave him a view of the sidewalk. Had he seen me talking with Rafael earlier? Did he witness the showdown between Rafael and Vincent?

"My life has gotten a little complicated lately, but it's nothing I can't handle." I spoke nonchalantly as I carried empty coffee mugs to the sink.

Mr. Pearlman didn't look convinced, but his scrutinizing gaze had less effect on me than it used to. I was trying to put my rambunctious days behind me. As I filled his sink with soapy water, my cellphone rang, and I fished it out of my pocket with my dry hand. I didn't recognize the number, but it was a New York area code.

"I'm going to take this on the landing. It might be a business call," I said as I stepped outside his apartment, leaving the door cracked behind me.

"Reese Kentwell," I answered.

"Hi, Reese. It's Rafael."

Ugh. Here we go. "What's up, Rafael?"

"I want to apologize for making a scene in front of you this morning. That argument between me and Vincent got out of hand. I was letting the testosterone talk for me."

"I appreciate your apology. Everyone has lapses in judgment."

"I'm glad you see it that way. I kicked myself afterward. I was trying to impress you and I'm sure I gave you the wrong impression."

This guy was seriously fishing, which I didn't fault him for, but his efforts were still futile.

"So, you think you need to impress me? You're better off just being yourself."

Silence followed my comment. Had I stumped him? "Good point. You obviously have a sharp mind and you're not afraid to use it. I should have let my intuition guide me. I hope it's not too late to redeem myself."