Chapter 11

Mr. Pearlman was tucked safely in his recliner when I left him and returned to my apartment. It was after seven o'clock and I still hadn't heard from Vincent. I didn't know why it bothered me. I'd been stood up by plenty of guys. Well, maybe just one, but Darren was a flake. I kicked off my shoes and clicked on the TV, queuing up Hellboy, which I never finished the night Colin showed up. As soon as I got comfortable, my phone rang. Strangely enough, it was Colin.

"Hi, Colin. I was just thinking about you."

"You were? That's a good sign."

Oh, crap.

"To be more specific, I just sat down to watch the movie you interrupted the other night."

"What movie is that?"

"Hellboy. It's one of my favorites."

"I love that one. Ron Perlman kicks ass. Would you like some company?"

Geez.

"Don't knock yourself out. By the time you get here, the movie will be over."

"What if I told you I was in your neighborhood?"

"Are you really in my neighborhood?" I ground out the question like a curse. These Valentino men knew nothing about boundaries.

"Um, yes? Is that a problem? You sound pissed."

I sighed but had the decency to hold the phone away from my mouth. "I'm not pissed. It just seems weird."

"Why? Maybe I have friends who live near you."

"Okay, I'll buy that, but I'm not sure it would be a good idea for you to come over."

"I'm not trying to pressure you, if that's what you think. I know you want to keep things platonic between us...for now. I'll sit on the other end of the couch."

"It's not just that. I don't know if Vincent told you, but we went out last night."

"I knew it! He never gives me a straight answer."

"Don't be angry with him. I don't know if it's going to work out anyway. He bailed on me today. I know he's got a lot on his plate, and I'm just another girl among the many."

"Don't say that. You're not just another girl, but you're right about Vincent having a lot on his plate. He wouldn't make the best boyfriend."

Of course, Colin was going to play that card. He wanted in the game. I felt the drama unfolding like silk origami and there was nothing I could do to stop it, except drop Vincent, which sounded like a terrible idea. I glanced through my living room window. The sky had turned indigo, reminding me of those two behemoths dueling in the alley. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad to have Colin come over...as a friend.

"If you really want to come over and watch Hellboy with me, I'll pause it until you get here."

"Cool. I'll be there in ten."

Ten minutes later, I answered the door and offered Colin a bottled water before we sat down to watch the movie. He looked good, dressed in a navy Lacoste shirt and acid washed jeans, and I couldn't help noticing the stark differences between him and Vincent. Colin was the casual, fun-loving one, while Vincent took on the burdens that came with fame and fortune. 

As promised, Colin gave me ample space as we relaxed on the couch and watched HB battle the hellhounds, and it was nearly eight thirty when my phone rang on the coffee table. I snatched it and abandoned my spot when I saw Vincent's name light up the screen.

"Hi, Vincent."

"Reese, I'm sorry."

"It's fine."